The Student Room Group

Can I take A-level art without GCSE (help)?

Basically, my school doesn't offer art and I want to do Architecture for University. My choices for A-level are Art, Physics, and Maths (plus Further Maths). I have not taken Art (we only had textiles) so I want to know how can I prep myself for A level Art?
I didn't do GCSE art and I planned to do it at A-level (I then changed my mind less than two months before I started my A-levels). I think it is a good idea just sketching, drawing, painting, etc. as much as you can - don't worry about it being good, just think of it is as practise. I would also have a look at the art of artists you like and maybe try experimenting with your style.
Original post by layanizzeddin
Basically, my school doesn't offer art and I want to do Architecture for University. My choices for A-level are Art, Physics, and Maths (plus Further Maths). I have not taken Art (we only had textiles) so I want to know how can I prep myself for A level Art?
art won't help you for a architecture or engineering, its better for you to focus on maths and physics based a levels. As someone who is doing maths, physics, further maths and computer science.
Reply 3
Original post by CharlieUk2Us
art won't help you for a architecture or engineering, its better for you to focus on maths and physics based a levels. As someone who is doing maths, physics, further maths and computer science.
Incorrect about architecture, it is heavily focused on design and producing images, and being good at art is a huge advantage. Furthermore the maths and physics content is GCSE level at most. (as someone with a Master's degree in architecture)
I have not done art a level without gcse, but our teachers have told us that people have tried but have gotten lower grades even with hard work. I think it's because in gcse you learn presentation and writing skills that you don't have to learn for a level, as a level is basically gcse but with more work. I don't think that you should do a level without gcse, but if you do practice with lots of different medium and analyse artist's work, and be prepared for a your first pages to not look as good as other's.
by I haven't done it without gcse I mean I have done gcse but not a level sorry if the phrasing was bad
Original post by ELEPHANTRAT
by I haven't done it without gcse I mean I have done gcse but not a level sorry if the phrasing was bad
no i got it. thank you x! I take textiles so we also have to make presentation, sketches, annotations and link to an overal developed piece... is that what you mean by "presentation and writing skill"?
Original post by Pedr0
Incorrect about architecture, it is heavily focused on design and producing images, and being good at art is a huge advantage. Furthermore the maths and physics content is GCSE level at most. (as someone with a Master's degree in architecture)
Omg. It's so cool how you did a Masters in Architecture. If its not TMI, do u mind sharing how you entered the field? Like what you took in school and uni etc?? Thanks x
no i got it. thank you x! I take textiles so we also have to make presentation, sketches, annotations and link to an overal developed piece... is that what you mean by "presentation and writing skill"?

yeah that's what I meant- if you can do that and have decent artistic ability then you shouldn't be disadvantaged against people who have done art gcse. good luck on whatever you decide to do :smile:
Reply 9
Omg. It's so cool how you did a Masters in Architecture. If its not TMI, do u mind sharing how you entered the field? Like what you took in school and uni etc?? Thanks x
Sure, no problem. you've got exams coming up right so i don't wanna overload you with info, but if you have any questions feel free to ask

Y11 work experience @ local architecture practice (would recommend doing this if you havent already done it, the working world is very different to uni)

Y12 A-level choices - Art, maths, physics. Art's the only one you actually need, you can easily get by with just GCSE level knowledge for maths and physics

Y13 uni applications - you have to submit a portfolio of work as part of the application process, I used a mix of things I did for my A level art and things made specifically for the portfolio.

At some point in the next couple years (if by that point you're still planning on doing architecture) it's worth spending a bit of time learning some 3D modelling software (eg Sketchup) and Photoshop, cause you'll start using software a lot more to make visuals in uni. example (likely process: 3d model > 2d linework > additional linework in CAD/Illustrator > colouring, people, trees added in Photoshop)

Quick Reply

Latest