The Student Room Group

Idk if antidepressants are working?

I’ve been on antidepressants since July. I was originally on 50mg sertaline but I suffered with fatigue and headaches and was changed to 20 Citalopram. With Sertaline I felt it was more effective but I suffered with constant headaches and fatigue. On citalopram I don’t really have any side effects except tiredness, but I don’t think it’s been as effective as sertaline.

I’ve been on citalopram for almost 9 weeks and I’ve realised a lot of my self image issues and traits that make me depressed have been more prominent on citalopram. I still feel very ugly and unattractive which makes me slightly insecure, and I continue to get easily stressed even though I’m calmer than I would be without medication. My anxiety has improved but its still there and evident and that social awkwardness I feel when I’m outside is there. I still struggle to control my thoughts occasionally. I also have therapy but its not regular.

Is 9 weeks still too early for citalopram to work, or should I ask for my medication to be changed. I just don’t want to be experiencing side effects that are going to affect my studies.
Reply 1
Original post by Monrose344
I’ve been on antidepressants since July. I was originally on 50mg sertaline but I suffered with fatigue and headaches and was changed to 20 Citalopram. With Sertaline I felt it was more effective but I suffered with constant headaches and fatigue. On citalopram I don’t really have any side effects except tiredness, but I don’t think it’s been as effective as sertaline.

I’ve been on citalopram for almost 9 weeks and I’ve realised a lot of my self image issues and traits that make me depressed have been more prominent on citalopram. I still feel very ugly and unattractive which makes me slightly insecure, and I continue to get easily stressed even though I’m calmer than I would be without medication. My anxiety has improved but its still there and evident and that social awkwardness I feel when I’m outside is there. I still struggle to control my thoughts occasionally. I also have therapy but its not regular.

Is 9 weeks still too early for citalopram to work, or should I ask for my medication to be changed. I just don’t want to be experiencing side effects that are going to affect my studies.

You need to discuss this with your GP, not with random people on the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest