The Student Room Group

Should I do a PhD?

I got an overall merit in my master's at Durham University! The year prior, I received a 2:1 in my bachelor's at the University of East Anglia. Both are Politics and IR and Politics respectively.

So, I'm quite happy, but I probably won't do anything academic for the time being as I feel exhausted from being in education for the past 20 or so years of my life and I feel like venturing off into the 'real world' for the time being. However, since basically the rest of my life has now artificially, but truly 'begun' i.e being an actual adult, I am just weighing up on what I could do in the future. I have already thought about other things, but a PhD is something that I would like some opinions about.

Firstly, is it possible with my grades to do a PhD in a subject surrounding politics? Obviously there are more factors that matter, but I do want to know if my grades are enough to do a PhD.

Secondly, should I do one and how much of a leap it is between a full-time PhD and a full-time MA?

And finally, am I better off doing a PhD in a russell group university or universites that are not in that category? (I've experienced both, so I know what they're both like in numerous aspects)

All opinions are welcomed and I look forward to hearing them! I appreciate it might not be a question about a specific application, just wondering what people's opinions are. Although keep in mind, this is something for the future and nothing immediate.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
The grades are just about enough for a place but almost certainly won't be enough for funding, so that's something to seriously consider. In general, the supervisor(s) matter more than the specific institution, but you have to bear in mind that not all institutions are created equal in terms of library and resource access.

The step up is huge. A full-time master's is a walk in the park and a full-time PhD is very demanding. The amount of reading is incredible and course dependent you'll have other stuff that you'll be expected to do as well, certain compulsory training stuff on top of research, writing, and sometimes a job (especially if no funding).

PhDs are hard in content, financially, and also socially. There are a lot of tradeoffs to be made, especially in opportunity-cost in terms of employment - there are a lot of things you could be doing and promotions to be getting in three, four, five years.

At the same time, indulging a passion via doctoral research is a great privilege and can be the best thing in the world, but it's really about what you are prepared to sacrifice and to what end - why do you actually want a PhD?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
The grades are just about enough for a place but almost certainly won't be enough for funding, so that's something to seriously consider. In general, the supervisor(s) matter more than the specific institution, but you have to bear in mind that not all institutions are created equal in terms of library and resource access.

The step up is huge. A full-time master's is a walk in the park and a full-time PhD is very demanding. The amount of reading is incredible and course dependent you'll have other stuff that you'll be expected to do as well, certain compulsory training stuff on top of research, writing, and sometimes a job (especially if no funding).

PhDs are hard in content, financially, and also socially. There are a lot of tradeoffs to be made, especially in opportunity-cost in termsw fo employment - there are a lot of things you could be doing and promotions to be getting in three, four, five years.

At the same time, indulong a passion via doctoral research is a great privilege and can be the best thing in the world, but it's really about what you are prepared to sacrifice and to what end - why do you actually want a PhD?

Thank you for the response, really helpful! I definitely appreciate the honesty as well!

It is more so something to consider in the future! :smile: I've enjoyed both degrees and so, I thought taking it to the next level is something to consider if I ever do decide to go back to study in the future. This is especially considering that I've received a first in both of my dissertations and I have a near-100% attendance at Uni since I first started studying at undergrad. I know, as you said, a PhD demands much more than that, but I do believe I have the commitment nonetheless.

I am aware that doing PhD is such a big commitment so, I thought I'd ask just to weigh up my options! :smile:
Reply 3
Your grades, even at the undergraduate level are fine, in general, a master's is only required if you're switching to something not within your field but can apply previous learnings. e.g. someone doing a BSc in Biochemistry and then a PhD in Food Science.

I have a friend who did a PhD in political sciences, when deciding to do one, you need to ask yourself, what it will really help you with and what you want to do after you finish. In general, the traditional route post PhD is teaching, postdoctoral research in your field (opportunities wise) would probably need to be researched, however, after that, the route is often still teaching, with some research on the side.

If you intend on going into a vocation to apply the knowledge you have, what is a PhD really going to do for you? I would argue that a PhD is often most beneficial in applied sciences where there are many 'real life' applications of knowledge that are transferable to industries. Think about that last part and ask yourself if you want to spend 3 years gaining knowledge on a small area in the grand scheme of your area, or go straight into roles where you would apply the knowledge and learn it along the way whilst you see the reality of application. This is because the reality of the application of knowledge is often the part everyone realises rather late.

Apologies if that was a mouthful, I am nearly 10 years post-Ph.D. and postdoc in an applied science field and I am often asked by students (when I lectured) if a PhD is the right thing to do.
Reply 4
Original post by ENx
Your grades, even at the undergraduate level are fine, in general, a master's is only required if you're switching to something not within your field but can apply previous learnings. e.g. someone doing a BSc in Biochemistry and then a PhD in Food Science.

I have a friend who did a PhD in political sciences, when deciding to do one, you need to ask yourself, what it will really help you with and what you want to do after you finish. In general, the traditional route post PhD is teaching, postdoctoral research in your field (opportunities wise) would probably need to be researched, however, after that, the route is often still teaching, with some research on the side.

If you intend on going into a vocation to apply the knowledge you have, what is a PhD really going to do for you? I would argue that a PhD is often most beneficial in applied sciences where there are many 'real life' applications of knowledge that are transferable to industries. Think about that last part and ask yourself if you want to spend 3 years gaining knowledge on a small area in the grand scheme of your area, or go straight into roles where you would apply the knowledge and learn it along the way whilst you see the reality of application. This is because the reality of the application of knowledge is often the part everyone realises rather late.

Apologies if that was a mouthful, I am nearly 10 years post-Ph.D. and postdoc in an applied science field and I am often asked by students (when I lectured) if a PhD is the right thing to do.

No need to apologise! As I said, all opinions are welcome! So, I applaud you for what you have written.

You are right, I was thinking about the same type of reasoning of why I decided to do a master's degree - I enjoyed my bachelor's, so why not a master's? When asking this question, it is more within the line of thinking of "I enjoyed my master's, so why not PhD?". I had flatmates who were in their first year of PhD and they've been telling me that they're really enjoying it, but I also see people online who say otherwise and go more in-depth as to what you should consider first before doing a PhD (much like your post). So, you put into a really good perspective and I really appreciate that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending