The Student Room Group

Masters/conversion courses

Hi guys. I studied my psychology honours degree in South Africa. I assumed that as my honours degree is not from the UK I need to do a conversion course for my Masters. I have just realised that it is possible to get your degree assessed by BPS but I’ve already registered for a Masters conversion course. Just wondering is it worth it to apply to assess if my honours degree would be BPS approved and then try applying for a normal masters or should I just continue with doing a Masters Conversion course?? I’m studying with Open Uni by the way. Would appreciate advise
Original post by NataliaX07
Hi guys. I studied my psychology honours degree in South Africa. I assumed that as my honours degree is not from the UK I need to do a conversion course for my Masters. I have just realised that it is possible to get your degree assessed by BPS but I’ve already registered for a Masters conversion course. Just wondering is it worth it to apply to assess if my honours degree would be BPS approved and then try applying for a normal masters or should I just continue with doing a Masters Conversion course?? I’m studying with Open Uni by the way. Would appreciate advise

Whilst you should take all application for masters' seriously, I think the main priority would be to get your degree assessed first.

If your degree is accredited, it would be pointless to do a conversion course. If your degree isn't, then you could always apply for a conversion degree later. However, in the former, you would be saving yourself significant amount of money as well as possibly time.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
Whilst you should take all application for masters' seriously, I think the main priority would be to get your degree assessed first.

If your degree is accredited, it would be pointless to do a conversion course. If your degree isn't, then you could always apply for a conversion degree later. However, in the former, you would be saving yourself significant amount of money as well as possibly time.

Thanks for the response.. I should probably clarify that I had intended to do Masters anyway..
it’s just that as I assumed that as my Honours is from another country I had TO registered for a Conversion qualification when choosing a Masters qualification. Now, as I’m aware that my honours could be assessed and possibly accredited.. I’m just confused between continuing with my registration for the conversion course, or cancel it find out if my honours can be accredited, and if it is then do a normal Masters with open university which doesn’t allow u to register for a BPS registration..
Hope I’m making sense
(edited 8 months ago)
Thanks for the response.. I should probably clarify that I had intended to do Masters anyway..
it’s just that as I assumed that as my Honours is from another country I had TO registered for a Conversion qualification when choosing a Masters qualification. Now, as I’m aware that my honours could be assessed and possibly accredited.. I’m just confused between continuing with my registration for the conversion course, or cancel it find out if my honours can be accredited, and if it is then do a normal Masters with open university which doesn’t allow u to register for a BPS registration..
Hope I’m making sense

I should probably clarify that I had intended to do Masters anyway..
By all means, do a master's. It's generally recommended that people do a master's should they wish to go into psychology as a profession.
If you can get away with going straight into a PhD (should you wish to become a clinical psychologist), then it's preferrable than doing a master's though. The thing is, it's ridiculously competitive to be accepted onto a doctorate for clinical psychology, and it's even rarer for someone to go straight onto the doctorate without doing a master's prior.

I’m just confused between continuing with my registration for the conversion course, or cancel it find out if my honours can be accredited, and if it is then do a normal Masters with open university which doesn’t allow u to register for a BPS registration..
I would cancel it. Should you wish to do a non-conversion master's then you would end up paying for the second master's yourself (as far as I know, psychologists isn't an allied health profession, so you won't get any funding from the NHS, and under the UK's ELQ policy they won't fund you for your second master's, assuming that you have UK residential status and are eligible for student finance).
Also, if you already did an undergrad in psychology, there is a strong chance that the conversion master's would be repeating more or less the same material that you did for your undergrad, especially if you later find out that your undergrad is BPS accredited (the accreditation likely depends on whether you have covered enough of the material to receive the status).
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
I should probably clarify that I had intended to do Masters anyway..
By all means, do a master's. It's generally recommended that people do a master's should they wish to go into psychology as a profession.
If you can get away with going straight into a PhD (should you wish to become a clinical psychologist), then it's preferrable than doing a master's though. The thing is, it's ridiculously competitive to be accepted onto a doctorate for clinical psychology, and it's even rarer for someone to go straight onto the doctorate without doing a master's prior.

I’m just confused between continuing with my registration for the conversion course, or cancel it find out if my honours can be accredited, and if it is then do a normal Masters with open university which doesn’t allow u to register for a BPS registration..
I would cancel it. Should you wish to do a non-conversion master's then you would end up paying for the second master's yourself (as far as I know, psychologists isn't an allied health profession, so you won't get any funding from the NHS, and under the UK's ELQ policy they won't fund you for your second master's, assuming that you have UK residential status and are eligible for student finance).
Also, if you already did an undergrad in psychology, there is a strong chance that the conversion master's would be repeating more or less the same material that you did for your undergrad, especially if you later find out that your undergrad is BPS accredited (the accreditation likely depends on whether you have covered enough of the material to receive the status).

Hi, I really appreciate your responses. I'm just confused about what you mean regarding a "2nd masters" .. don't you do your masters once and then go on to PHD/Doctorate if you're lucky.. also,I'll have to fund my Masters degree myself as I don't qualify for a UK post-grad loan since I haven't been here long enough.

Lastly would having a conversion Masters impact me negatively if I wanted to get into PHD/Doctorate?
Hi, I really appreciate your responses. I'm just confused about what you mean regarding a "2nd masters" .. don't you do your masters once and then go on to PHD/Doctorate if you're lucky.. also,I'll have to fund my Masters degree myself as I don't qualify for a UK post-grad loan since I haven't been here long enough.

Lastly would having a conversion Masters impact me negatively if I wanted to get into PHD/Doctorate?

I'm just confused about what you mean regarding a "2nd masters" .. don't you do your masters once and then go on to PHD/Doctorate if you're lucky
I might be mistaken, but generally a conversion master's to my knowledge is considered more of a half of a bachelor's than a full on master's. It's like comparing a conversion master's in computer science vs a master's in advanced computer science - the former would go through the basics of what you would have done in a bachelor's in computer science, whereas the latter looks at material that builds on what you would have done after you done an undergrad in computer science. I would very much assume the principle applies to psychology.

Strictly speaking, the requirement for a PhD is a degree; this could be a master's or bachelor's, so long you have covered the necessary material, so yes you can go straight into a PhD with a master's level conversion course. However, I don't know the specifics of the PhD program that you want to do and whether it asks for/strongly recommends the more "advanced" master's level content.

No. As far as I know, plenty of people with a conversion master's in psychology went onto to do their doctorate.
If you don't have a suitable undergrad, then the fact remains that you don't have a suitable undergrad and you would either need to do a second bachelor's or a conversion degree before you do the doctorate. I can't see why they would penalise you for doing the conversion degree.
Reply 6
You've helped me understand things a whole lot clearer. Thank you so much..much appreciated.
You've helped me understand things a whole lot clearer. Thank you so much..much appreciated.

@NataliaX07
There are some points in the advice you have been given that need to be corrected.

To become a psychologist of any kind you need to go on and do doctorate level studying - this could be in educational psychology or clinical psychology.

Typically you need a good strong psychology degree in order to get onto a PhD program, it is very very competitive and you will need some experience along side it to stand out from the crowd. an MSc Psychology conversion is NOT the same as 'half a bachelors' at all - it is worth the same number of credits as any other masters program, the purpose is to fast track someone with academic skills into a new area. I got a 1st in Sociology and years later did an MSc conversion in Psychology. You do not need the Masters to become a psychologist, you can leap frog it, but there are advantages to having one (it allows me to access funding for student support)

If you do a Psychology Masters make sure it is fully accredited with the BPS like the course at Arden University

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Arden University
@NataliaX07
There are some points in the advice you have been given that need to be corrected.

To become a psychologist of any kind you need to go on and do doctorate level studying - this could be in educational psychology or clinical psychology.

Typically you need a good strong psychology degree in order to get onto a PhD program, it is very very competitive and you will need some experience along side it to stand out from the crowd. an MSc Psychology conversion is NOT the same as 'half a bachelors' at all - it is worth the same number of credits as any other masters program, the purpose is to fast track someone with academic skills into a new area. I got a 1st in Sociology and years later did an MSc conversion in Psychology. You do not need the Masters to become a psychologist, you can leap frog it, but there are advantages to having one (it allows me to access funding for student support)

If you do a Psychology Masters make sure it is fully accredited with the BPS like the course at Arden University

Marc

Thank you Marc!
I'll look into Arden
Thank you Marc!
I'll look into Arden

@NataliaX07
Good to hear, its worth taking your time to find the right University for you. The accreditation with the BPS is the main thing, if a provider is vague then I would chalk them off the list, you can always check with Ofqual as back up

Marc

Quick Reply

Latest