The Student Room Group

Brighton College

Is anyone having the entrance exams in November? Do you guys know if there will be science questions?
Reply 1
Original post by sw__
Is anyone having the entrance exams in November? Do you guys know if there will be science questions?

im taking the exam on the 3rd of nov and ive been given the basic layout of the paper by some tutors and people who did the exam last year and apparently there are some science questions on all three sciences and they mostly will just have like graph related questions and stuff like that but i dont think its anything too difficult!! just gcse level
Reply 2
Original post by bellad2
im taking the exam on the 3rd of nov and ive been given the basic layout of the paper by some tutors and people who did the exam last year and apparently there are some science questions on all three sciences and they mostly will just have like graph related questions and stuff like that but i dont think its anything too difficult!! just gcse level

Do you know if they are multiple choice questions? Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by sw__
Do you know if they are multiple choice questions? Thank you!

I dont know exactly sorry!! 😢 but just in case you want it, here's the basic rundown of the exam that I've gathered!

From what I've heard, theres 5 sections. First section is verbal reasoning, second section is essay questions apparently which responds to data or something like that, third section is for science (pretty sure theres a few questions for all three) which probably will have things like graphs etc and the fourth section is non calc maths questions like giving proof. The fifth section is english where theres gonna be a text with around 15 questions. Then 45 minutes on a passage with some more questions. Three 8 markers, one 6 marker and the rest are 2 markers apparently which are answered just in the PEE style. This is what I heard was on the entrance test last year and obviously I dont know if this is 100% correct but its what I'm basing my revision on
(i just copied and pasted what I had said in another thread)
Reply 4
Original post by bellad2
I dont know exactly sorry!! 😢 but just in case you want it, here's the basic rundown of the exam that I've gathered!

From what I've heard, theres 5 sections. First section is verbal reasoning, second section is essay questions apparently which responds to data or something like that, third section is for science (pretty sure theres a few questions for all three) which probably will have things like graphs etc and the fourth section is non calc maths questions like giving proof. The fifth section is english where theres gonna be a text with around 15 questions. Then 45 minutes on a passage with some more questions. Three 8 markers, one 6 marker and the rest are 2 markers apparently which are answered just in the PEE style. This is what I heard was on the entrance test last year and obviously I dont know if this is 100% correct but its what I'm basing my revision on
(i just copied and pasted what I had said in another thread)

Thank you so much, this really helps. And do you know if we need to write an essay or something like creative writing for english? I am extremely nervous right now 😣

Spoiler

(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by sw__
Thank you so much, this really helps. And do you know if we need to write an essay or something like creative writing for english? I am extremely nervous right now 😣

Spoiler

I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure 😥
Reply 6
Original post by bellad2
I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure 😥

It's alright thanks so much!
Reply 7
This is what I was sent from my school, from students who had previously applied under scholarship (therefore may be different from non-scholarship but I assume it's the same)

The verbal reasoning consisted of lots of multiple choice questions, where you had to find patterns, break codes and solve problems, using the alphabet, numbers, days of the week and words. It also included finding similar synonyms and antonyms to quite complex words.

For the maths paper I would say it is definitely manageable for all GCSE students as all the questions we do the techniques in school, and there are no trick questions! For example expanding brackets and finding the gradient of an line equation.

The first part of the general paper was testing your reading skills, to infer pieces of information of texts. The texts were quite contradictory, and all the options very similar, so you had to look very carefully, and infer the meaning most of the time. The writing section wanted you to write a comparative essay using information from graphs about the proportion of people's time spent on different tasks according to genders in the first lockdown.

Scientific reasoning was split into the separate sciences and you only had to do two sections. It tested your knowledge of the subject, how you would apply yourself in certain scientific experiments, and your ability to gain knowledge from tables.

Wishing you the best of luck, I'm taking mine next week too. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by mrman122
This is what I was sent from my school, from students who had previously applied under scholarship (therefore may be different from non-scholarship but I assume it's the same)

The verbal reasoning consisted of lots of multiple choice questions, where you had to find patterns, break codes and solve problems, using the alphabet, numbers, days of the week and words. It also included finding similar synonyms and antonyms to quite complex words.

For the maths paper I would say it is definitely manageable for all GCSE students as all the questions we do the techniques in school, and there are no trick questions! For example expanding brackets and finding the gradient of an line equation.

The first part of the general paper was testing your reading skills, to infer pieces of information of texts. The texts were quite contradictory, and all the options very similar, so you had to look very carefully, and infer the meaning most of the time. The writing section wanted you to write a comparative essay using information from graphs about the proportion of people's time spent on different tasks according to genders in the first lockdown.

Scientific reasoning was split into the separate sciences and you only had to do two sections. It tested your knowledge of the subject, how you would apply yourself in certain scientific experiments, and your ability to gain knowledge from tables.

Wishing you the best of luck, I'm taking mine next week too. :smile:

Thank you so much for this information🙏🏻! Do you know if the science questions are based on gcse topics and can we choose which two we are doing? Thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by sw__
Thank you so much for this information🙏🏻! Do you know if the science questions are based on gcse topics and can we choose which two we are doing? Thank you!

No worries.
I'd imagine that they would be based on GCSE topics, I'm not sure why they would go for knowledge above that level, it just doesn't make sense. I'm also assuming that they want you to have a grasp of the methodology behind what you do, rather than just knowledge of the content.

Yes, I think you can pick which ones you do, depending on what you feel weakest in.
Reply 10
No worries.
I'd imagine that they would be based on GCSE topics, I'm not sure why they would go for knowledge above that level, it just doesn't make sense. I'm also assuming that they want you to have a grasp of the methodology behind what you do, rather than just knowledge of the content.

Yes, I think you can pick which ones you do, depending on what you feel weakest in.

Thanks! Also I have heard that the science questions were multiple choice, do you know if they were multiple choice or some longer questions like the gcses?
Reply 11
Original post by sw__
Thanks! Also I have heard that the science questions were multiple choice, do you know if they were multiple choice or some longer questions like the gcses?

No idea, sorry.
Reply 12
No idea, sorry.

It's alright. Thanks for the information!
Reply 13
To people who did them today how did they go?
Reply 14
Does anyone know about the questions for the interview next Saturday?

Quick Reply

Latest