The Student Room Group

Venting about my selective state school

I go to a selective state school in london, and I got 11 A*'s at GCSE, I picked Physics Maths and English, (and politics because my school forces every candidate to choose 4 subjects then switch to 3 at the end of the year). Im now in year 13 and i got an E in maths for my end of unit test after half the further maths students (which is majority of the maths cohort) dropped to single maths and of course performed a lot better than those who only did single maths . Now I was called in along with my father to discuss how I shouldnt study physics at uni because my results are so bad. Im predicted A*AB, and I just feel like they are discarding the fact that ive done so much work and put so much effort into physics but they only really care about how their school would look if I studied English instead because I got an A* in it. Like it would make sense if she called me in once to tell me this, but she's talked to me about it for months and without telling me she calls a meeting with my father? I know I want to study physics and I'll work hard to apply through clearing without my arrogant schools help that only likes you if your part of the 70% that apply for oxbridge with all A* predicted's, (bear in mind a lot of the students here went to either private secondary school or extensive expensive tutoring). I feel like I shouldve never applied here and the whole "giving to underprivelidged kids" is just a ruse because I havent felt supported this entire time, but timothee with middle class parents is given the financial award for having the most PAID extracurriculars ???? Im done with this rotten education system
It sounds like they don’t trust you to make your own decisions :frown:

Just to flag up - Clearing is part of UCAS. You still need a full UCAS application including a reference to use clearing. It’s not a way to bypass the requirement for a reference.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It sounds like they don’t trust you to make your own decisions :frown:

Just to flag up - Clearing is part of UCAS. You still need a full UCAS application including a reference to use clearing. It’s not a way to bypass the requirement for a reference.

Agreed

Quick Reply

Latest