The Student Room Group

Help - therapist / school councellorscareer

Hi, I would like to go into psychotherapy / counselling I have a psych degree and I don’t know what I should be doing / looking for? Do any school councillors / therapists have any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I would like to go into psychotherapy / counselling I have a psych degree and I don’t know what I should be doing / looking for? Do any school councillors / therapists have any tips?

Hey,

What I can tell you is that of course there are different routes to qualify and it also depends on which approach/theory you prefer. I finished my undergrad in July and now I am enrolled on the Master's program in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy at the University of Derby; it is an accredited course with BACP and it allows me to qualify after the degree. I am actually very pleased with the way the course is being taught and what I am learning. This specific course focuses on a holistic approach with a focus on person-centred, attachment and CBT.

I was so unsure about the choices as well before and I did extensive research and attended open days. I am happy with my choice now.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, ask away.
Reply 2
Hi, I am a bit confused on courses I want to do also do you think it’s better to do a. Masters than getting a diploma in therapy?

Quick Reply

Latest