The Student Room Group

English Literature NEA

I'm doing The Whitsun Weddings by Philip Larkin for my NEA but I have literally no clue where to start, I need a plan surrounding the question “Larkin’s The Whitsun Weddings is a pessimistic exploration of the power large institutions hold within society.” so far I have my third paragraph down as 'religion' but I can't think of any other specific large institutions that his poerty relates to. Would capitalism work? but then what would my next point be?
Reply 1
Original post by VPurple
I'm doing The Whitsun Weddings by Philip Larkin for my NEA but I have literally no clue where to start, I need a plan surrounding the question “Larkin’s The Whitsun Weddings is a pessimistic exploration of the power large institutions hold within society.” so far I have my third paragraph down as 'religion' but I can't think of any other specific large institutions that his poerty relates to. Would capitalism work? but then what would my next point be?

Capitalism would definitely work! If I was doing this question, I would probably touch on the effect on individuals, the effect on wider society, then maybe patriarchy, and perhaps things out of control such as urbanism and societal roles?? Some smaller points I would probably include would be Larkin’s traditionalist views, depiction of the working class, and his relationships and obviously the time he lived in and things changing (ie. post-war)
Reply 2
Original post by waffelton
Capitalism would definitely work! If I was doing this question, I would probably touch on the effect on individuals, the effect on wider society, then maybe patriarchy, and perhaps things out of control such as urbanism and societal roles?? Some smaller points I would probably include would be Larkin’s traditionalist views, depiction of the working class, and his relationships and obviously the time he lived in and things changing (ie. post-war)

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending