The Student Room Logo

Should I go to the GP about social anxiety?

I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety but its never been diagnosed because I've been too afraid to even book a GP appointment for it. I really want to get it fixed because I'm nearly done at university and I'm very worried that I won't be able to land a decent job because of it, eventually ending up living the rest of my life isolated and poor. Has anyone had any experience of going to the GP about it? What should I expect and what can they do to help? And is it worth going?
Yes, you have to go to the GP in order to get a diagnoses and access treatment, as the GP is the one who will refer you to a mental health specialist who will provide a diagnoses and prescribe treatment. Just express you symptoms and tell them how you feel.

Quick Reply