The Student Room Group

Year 10 Work Experience

I am in year 10, and i can’t decide on what to do for my work experience. I was thinking doing it in a primary school. But I don’t know what i will have to wear, what i will do whilst i am there, what do i do about my lunch, what time i have to get there by, and i am so stuck.
Any advice?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Contact the schools you are interested in locally, and ask them these questions. You will find the answers vary from school to school. Good luck and have fun!
Reply 2
I did my work experience at a local primary school and trust me, it is well worth it. Once you have contacted the school you are interested in doing it with, they will make sure that any questions you have will be answered before your first day and on your first day you will most likely have an induction where you are told more about your role and how the school works, that kind of thing. When I did mine, I mainly worked as a teaching assistant in early years and was given small opportunities to lead groups or the whole class, for example I helped to deliver an art lesson to year 5 with another TA. But, if this isn’t something you want to do, you won’t be made to do it- you definitely wont be thrown into the deep end and made to teach a lesson if you don’t want to! In regards to the questions you have, I can give you a bit of advice which was in place for my work experience and I expect to be the same for yours: the dress code is smart casual (no jeans, trainers. I wore nice t shirts, jumpers and cargos), for lunch you will either take your own packed lunch or you can have the school dinner which is on offer; this will depend on whether the school give you that option but I just had a packed lunch every day and you will probably eat in the staff room with the other teaching assistants or teachers, depending on your role while you’re there. While you are there, you will do the same jobs as a teaching assistant would if you are assigned to be a work experience TA like I was, things like organising the classroom before the children arrive, helping children with their work, doing playground duty, going to assemblies, I went on a few school trips in my week as well which was really good fun. I hope this has helped you out a little bit! If you have any other questions I can try and answer them for you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending