The Student Room Group

Coding Projects on a Maths Personal Statement?

Just wondering, I'm looking at a Maths degree and am very passionate about its usages within Computer Science (I did ponder on CS but I dislike the theory, still not sure whether that's the right choice).
In short though, I've been doing some projects like visualizing Lagrange Polynomials and such. I thought this might be a good thing to put on a PS because it shows that I've done more research and have applied it?

Not sure if it's just better to write about books and MOOCs though, as obviously doing Maths the coding bit might dilute my message?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply 1
Original post by mossyrevelations
Just wondering, I'm looking at a Maths degree and am very passionate about its usages within Computer Science (I did ponder on CS but I dislike the theory, still not sure whether that's the right choice).
In short though, I've been doing some projects like visualizing Lagrange Polynomials and such. I thought this might be a good thing to put on a PS because it shows that I've done more research and have applied it?

Not sure if it's just better to write about books and MOOCs though, as obviously doing Maths the coding bit might dilute my message?

Thanks for any advice!

Pure maths or maths + CS?
Original post by mesub
Pure maths or maths + CS?

Just pure, sorry if I wasn't clear. Did ponder on both but most unis I've looked at don't seem to offer it as a Joint oddly. Hence why I wondered whether having a coding project would be a good idea: obviously it shows passion but not sure if that's diluted. Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by mossyrevelations
Just pure, sorry if I wasn't clear. Did ponder on both but most unis I've looked at don't seem to offer it as a Joint oddly. Hence why I wondered whether having a coding project would be a good idea: obviously it shows passion but not sure if that's diluted. Thanks!

I'm sure you've had a decent look already, but I would advise you to check again. There's a range of universities across the spectrum that offer it (unless the universities of your choice don't offer it, which is also likely).

You can mention a coding project, and it should be okay (since Maths and CS are quite closely linked academically). You might want to steer it more towards the maths behind it though. Once again, it really depends on what you choose to apply for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending