The Student Room Group

Business computing and IT

Currently doing bsc CS first year and it’s hard for me and I heard it only gets harder. IS it worth to change to business computing and IT bsc
Reply 1
Original post by Mobsta16374773
Currently doing bsc CS first year and it’s hard for me and I heard it only gets harder. IS it worth to change to business computing and IT bsc

Depends on you and your future career plans, and if the modules provided appeal to you more.

What specifically about your CS course is hard for you so far?
Original post by Aceful
Depends on you and your future career plans, and if the modules provided appeal to you more.

What specifically about your CS course is hard for you so far?

I’m not grasping how to code correctly and keep forgetting the foundations very easily which leads to me being clueless very fast. Would you say there’s something I could do to fix this like side projects or just code more. Doing Java this years
Reply 3
A good question to ask is do you really enjoy the subject? Does it interest you? If you enjoy that subject and find it interesting then I would say not to switch as I would rather be challenged at University then find everything easy and boring. University isn't meant to be easy it costs 9K a year, some concepts and things can be really difficult, just make sure you ask for help when needed, stay consistent with revision, practice questions and you should be fine, even the struggle will feel like a part of a learning journey than a headache.

I'm doing Java and I'm in Year 13 and finding it quite easy but then again I enjoy computer science and naturally good at it. It's okay if you aren't you just need to put the extra work in. There are lots of and hours worth of videos on YouTube for free going through Java and it's basics and more advanced concepts. Best thing to do is to write code and apply it to a project small or big. Solve a problem for example make a calculator that outputs and inputs information you will need to use if statements which helps you apply the knowledge.

Video: https://youtu.be/xk4_1vDrzzo?si=2YANwNTD-zHCNTQI

Just program more it's just like maths, practice more and you'll get better at it. There is no avoiding coding.

To quickly remember fundamentals use pages similar to this:
https://www.w3schools.com/java/java_examples.asp

Hope this helps.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mobsta16374773
I’m not grasping how to code correctly and keep forgetting the foundations very easily which leads to me being clueless very fast. Would you say there’s something I could do to fix this like side projects or just code more. Doing Java this years

If you have time I would totally recommend doing a side project or coding around on Java to help understand the fundamentals and foundations. There are so many resources for Java available on YouTube or sites like Codeacademy or Freecodecamp which you can look into alongside your uni lectures to help clear your understanding. Also you can read books if you prefer.

I also agree with Astray, ask for help from your lectures/mentors if needed and practice!

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending