The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to start at year 10 or 11 by January

I'm 17 currently and I will be 18 next year I'm relocating to UK by December and I want to get used to their education before I go to sixth form ( A levels class) is it possible for me to start at year 10 or 11 by January or they will say I'm too old
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Kattiej
I'm 17 currently and I will be 18 next year I'm relocating to UK by December and I want to get used to their education before I go to sixth form ( A levels class) is it possible for me to start at year 10 or 11 by January or they will say I'm too old

I would not expect a school to admit a 17 yr old into yr 10 or 11.
Original post by Kattiej

I concur with @ReadingMum. GCSEs in traditional schools tend to be reserved for 14-16 year olds. Those who decide to take GCSEs after 16 tend to do it in an adult college or through some online course.

What are the arrangements that your schools have organised for you? Did they specifically say that you would be attending secondary school or would you have to go through a college?

Also you are often able to get international equivalents for college application i.e. you might not even need to do GCSEs in order to start doing A Levels, depending on how the sixth form college views your application. What has your prospective colleges said about this?
I have came across some of college applicants who came from abroad (e.g. UAE) and they seem to have been able to go into college without specifically requiring to do their GCSEs in the country. Check whether this is the case for you based on the qualifications that you have already got.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I concur with @ReadingMum. GCSEs in traditional schools tend to be reserved for 14-16 year olds. Those who decide to take GCSEs after 16 tend to do it in an adult college or through some online course.

What are the arrangements that your schools have organised for you? Did they specifically say that you would be attending secondary school or would you have to go through a college?

Also you are often able to get international equivalents for college application i.e. you might not even need to do GCSEs in order to start doing A Levels, depending on how the sixth form college views your application. What has your prospective colleges said about this?
I have came across some of college applicants who came from abroad (e.g. UAE) and they seem to have been able to go into college without specifically requiring to do their GCSEs in the country. Check whether this is the case for you based on the qualifications that you have already got.

Ok thanks I haven't checked any school yet and I got GCSE equivalent I probably will use it to apply for a college
Original post by Kattiej
Ok thanks I haven't checked any school yet and I got GCSE equivalent I probably will use it to apply for a college

By the way, I would consider looking into GCSE English Language in case you want to go to university or work in the UK - the unis might ask for an equivalent, but it's going to be cheaper and quicker to just do the GCSE instead.
GCSE Maths is debatable if you intend to apply for uni only. If you intend to work in the country, the GCSE might be useful.
Reply 5
Original post by MindMax2000
By the way, I would consider looking into GCSE English Language in case you want to go to university or work in the UK - the unis might ask for an equivalent, but it's going to be cheaper and quicker to just do the GCSE instead.
GCSE Maths is debatable if you intend to apply for uni only. If you intend to work in the country, the GCSE might be useful.

Ok thanks buh is it better to do GCSE in a college instead of secondary school
Reply 6
I don’t think you would be admitted to do a GCSE in a secondary school. In a college you would have more people of your age around you
Original post by Kattiej
Ok thanks buh is it better to do GCSE in a college instead of secondary school

Secondary I think (I only did it in secondary school so I can't say what it's like at college though other than you are in smaller classes).

However, that's hypothetical since you're not likely eligible to study it in secondary (by all means try, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up).

Quick Reply

Latest