The Student Room Group

Help I'm in set 2 for maths and set 3 for english

Hi I'm in year 8 and trying to be set 1 maths and set 2 English rn I'm set 2 maths and set 3 English how do I move up in both
Original post by Zeroes
Hi I'm in year 8 and trying to be set 1 maths and set 2 English rn I'm set 2 maths and set 3 English how do I move up in both

I would say because you're in Year 8, it's not a big worry what set you are in currently. But once you start your GCSE subjects, there will more definite set changes but those will be based on grades, and only really applicable to Science and Maths. Languages may have sets.

Generally, in Year 8, you will be learning the exact same content in every subject no matter what set you're in. The best advice I have is to enjoy life while you can, GCSEs are quite the roller coaster.

If your school does change sets based on who the "top students" are in Year 8, then I would recommend doing practice questions and asking your teacher to mark them, but that's not usually something I recommend doing until GCSEs.
(edited 5 months ago)
Literally the least important thing. Nobody cares what set you were in for the rest of your life. The only way it might actually affect anything is if it, later when you do your GCSEs, determines whether you do the higher or foundation papers. But I mean even then if you're only in year 8 it's just...somewhat pointless.

Relax, be a kid and have fun with learning while you still can.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Zeroes

Set 2 is often a good place to be - in many schools the top set gets a weaker teacher because the students are bright.

If you are aiming for Higher then that's all to worry about.
Reply 4
Don't worry too much since you're in year 8. You'll be taught the same content as other sets. if you REALLY want to move up ask the teachers. Sometimes if they see someone in the higher sets not coping well they'll bring them down and maybe bring someone up, so ask the teachers what you can do to move up the sets. Again though year 8 you should just chill, even if you stay in those sets for GCSEs you shoulde be sitting the Higher tier papers exactly like set 1 and 2s.

Quick Reply

Latest