The Student Room Group

Will choosing only chemistry get me a good job in healthcare

Can I get a good job in healthcare with only chemistry as a science a level? I’m in year 11 doing triple science and I’m averaging 7s in bio and 8s in chemistry. I was going to pick both of those sciences however after research I’ve seen that biology is indeed extremely hard in alevels.
Reply 1
Original post by iman222222
Can I get a good job in healthcare with only chemistry as a science a level? I’m in year 11 doing triple science and I’m averaging 7s in bio and 8s in chemistry. I was going to pick both of those sciences however after research I’ve seen that biology is indeed extremely hard in alevels.

From what I’ve heard - some unis do allow you to do Medicine with just chemistry, although both are preferred. Biomed degrees are also like this but slightly less so if I’m correct.

I do both Bio and Chem A level. I would say Biology is much easier that Chem for me. I actually enjoy Biology a lot more than I did at GCSE. Perhaps have a look through A level Bio textbooks etc (it’s my favourite subject!)
Original post by Maria303
From what I’ve heard - some unis do allow you to do Medicine with just chemistry, although both are preferred. Biomed degrees are also like this but slightly less so if I’m correct.

I do both Bio and Chem A level. I would say Biology is much easier that Chem for me. I actually enjoy Biology a lot more than I did at GCSE. Perhaps have a look through A level Bio textbooks etc (it’s my favourite subject!)

For medicine about half require chemistry, about a third require biology, and some require both. However of the half requiring chemistry, almost all require a second science or maths subject from biology, physics, or maths (a couple accept psychology).

Original post by iman222222

It depends what kind of job you want to do in healthcare, which will determine what degree you need to do and hence whether or not chemistry alone is sufficient. Generally speaking the sciences are most productive in terms of giving you a wide range of options when taken in concert, usually at least in pairs; if you do not wish to take biology it would be practical to do physics or maths in that case (or both) alongside chemistry to give you a wider range of options.

Taking just a single science will often very significantly limit your options for related degrees, and you may need to look at courses with a foundation year (in which case you would cover the material from the other science(s) anyway).

Equally though usually the requirements of a degree are not arbitrary and tally with the nature and content of the degree. So if a degree requires multiple science subjects and you have little interest or aptitude in the other sciences, you may want to practically consider if that's the best option for you.

Quick Reply

Latest