The Student Room Group

Having issues with GCSE English

Hi guys,

This year I started year 10 and I've been finding English really hard, both lit and lang. Even though I try hard I never do as well as I do in my other subjects. Whenever I try to analyse something I end up having analysed nothing. Even in lang I'm having problems with writer intentions etc.

Is there anyway I could improve or like any method that would help in either of them?
I do AQA btw and I'm also worried about doing poetry
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Don’t worry. Get past papers and start working on them. They don’t change year on year. Great YouTube content on how to answer each question. Just prep for the exam and you’ll pass it.
Original post by Academic_Success
Hi guys,

This year I started year 10 and I've been finding English really hard, both lit and lang. Even though I try hard I never do as well as I do in my other subjects. Whenever I try to analyse something I end up having analysed nothing. Even in lang I'm having problems with writer intentions etc.

Is there anyway I could improve or like any method that would help in either of them?

I would try and use other people's interpretations of texts from places like Seneca, so then you can memorise what quotes are supposed to mean even if you do not see it yourself. For language I think the best thing you can do is practise. What do you mean you 'end up having analysed nothing'?
Hi guys,

Hi, here are some tips I have:
- For english lit, it could help if you understand which bits you want to analyse by knowing what to pick out from the text: look for context (isn't included within the text, but it's basically what was happening during the time that text/poem was written - it could be to do with the author or the actual time period); themes (the main ideas throughout the text/poem - it could be a theme of poverty for example); structure/form (how the text is laid out - like a cyclical structure for example) and language techniques (like metaphors or alliteration - quick tip for alliteration, you can make your writing seem more knowledgeable by using terms like fricative alliteration (alliteration of the f sounds) or sibilance (alliteration of the s sounds))
- It will also help to look at previous analysis that is made - I used glow up your grades youtube channel as it has high level analysis; you could also use a revision guide/seneca/ physics + maths tutor
- I recommend either printing the poem or part of the extract out and using it as a mindmap and writing all analysis around it or write a quote and write your analysis next to it; make sure you're able to fit all the analysis into a single page (otherwise it might get very crowded and feel like you have to learn a lot)
- When you say you end up having analysed nothing, do you mean in terms of the mark scheme? If you do, then I understand how it feels like you haven't analysed anything in relevance to the mark scheme or another source, but remember that there are so many perspectives and analysis you can do - there isn't a set amount of analysis for any text, so as long as you're able to back your point up with the quote, it still counts as an analysis
- For english lang, try annotating on the text and taking a few mins just to find quotes that you find relevant to the questions or underlying theme, the website below talks about how to tackle different questions types, it is very helpful

https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-english-language-revision/#revision

I hope I helped and good luck!
Reply 4
Hi guys,

Use genius.com for poetry. Search poems on there and click on each line, they have the meanings behind it for you. I used it in my gcse as well as resources my teachers provided and got a 7.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I would try and use other people's interpretations of texts from places like Seneca, so then you can memorise what quotes are supposed to mean even if you do not see it yourself. For language I think the best thing you can do is practise. What do you mean you 'end up having analysed nothing'?

I mean I don't know know how to analyse and find connotations so whenever I try in lit I end up with very basic analysis
Original post by *LifeHappens*
- For english lit, it could help if you understand which bits you want to analyse by knowing what to pick out from the text: look for context (isn't included within the text, but it's basically what was happening during the time that text/poem was written - it could be to do with the author or the actual time period); themes (the main ideas throughout the text/poem - it could be a theme of poverty for example); structure/form (how the text is laid out - like a cyclical structure for example) and language techniques (like metaphors or alliteration - quick tip for alliteration, you can make your writing seem more knowledgeable by using terms like fricative alliteration (alliteration of the f sounds) or sibilance (alliteration of the s sounds))
- It will also help to look at previous analysis that is made - I used glow up your grades youtube channel as it has high level analysis; you could also use a revision guide/seneca/ physics + maths tutor
- I recommend either printing the poem or part of the extract out and using it as a mindmap and writing all analysis around it or write a quote and write your analysis next to it; make sure you're able to fit all the analysis into a single page (otherwise it might get very crowded and feel like you have to learn a lot)
- When you say you end up having analysed nothing, do you mean in terms of the mark scheme? If you do, then I understand how it feels like you haven't analysed anything in relevance to the mark scheme or another source, but remember that there are so many perspectives and analysis you can do - there isn't a set amount of analysis for any text, so as long as you're able to back your point up with the quote, it still counts as an analysis
- For english lang, try annotating on the text and taking a few mins just to find quotes that you find relevant to the questions or underlying theme, the website below talks about how to tackle different questions types, it is very helpful

Omg thank youuuuu
When I say I haven't analysed much I mean I have come up with the most basic and obvious analysis and it's not really in terms of the mark scheme either😭
Original post by mxlaika1
Use genius.com for poetry. Search poems on there and click on each line, they have the meanings behind it for you. I used it in my gcse as well as resources my teachers provided and got a 7.

Thank you!
I'll check it out
I mean I don't know know how to analyse and find connotations so whenever I try in lit I end up with very basic analysis

I used other people's interpretations of connotations and stuff - I found Seneca helpful and going over stuff that I wrote in lessons
Reply 9
Original post by *LifeHappens*

hiya, I was reading through this thread and found this response very useful 😉
for alliteration in specific, how exactly would you analyse it; what does it show about the intention of the writer or what is it meant to symbolise? especially in literature, I am not sure what significance alteration holds.
as well as this, how would you maintain a consistent critical style and a consistent line of argument? my responses and analyses are always in line with the question and quite perceptive, but I just don't understand what it means to maintain a critical style or whatever.
thank u so much <3
Original post by emaanqur
hiya, I was reading through this thread and found this response very useful 😉
for alliteration in specific, how exactly would you analyse it; what does it show about the intention of the writer or what is it meant to symbolise? especially in literature, I am not sure what significance alteration holds.
as well as this, how would you maintain a consistent critical style and a consistent line of argument? my responses and analyses are always in line with the question and quite perceptive, but I just don't understand what it means to maintain a critical style or whatever.
thank u so much <3

Hi, I'm glad you found my post helpful!

For alliteration, you can relate it to the tone or what it symbolises in the text. For example, sibilance might add a softer tone which lightens the mood in the text or maybe the sibilance represents something (like 'the dancer's swift, silky skirt' might show how graceful the dancer is). By linking it to tone/or something symbolic then you might find a way to discuss writer's intention with it (like expanding on the person's character or the atmosphere created in the text). I get how confusing it is when people place importance into a simple language technique like alliteration - but it's easy to find in the text and if you're able to successfully discuss it in relation to the theme/character then it might be seen as a good out-of-the-box analysis.

What I would mean by cohesive line of argument or maintaining a critical style would be:

Always making sure you're making your points in relation to the question asked - so not swaying from what the examiner wants you to write about. For example, if a specific theme is asked, then try to stick to the theme throughout to prevent confusion.

Not using too many quotes in one paragraph - it's best to present a good analysis within one/two quotes rather than giving loads of quotes at once with not-so-good analysis

Not using too many points in one paragraph - it's similar to the previous point, but it's super important not to clutter paragraphs with lots of different points; it's good to stick to one or two points maximum for each paragraph so you have the room to expand on it and talk further about it

Sometimes, when you proof-read your essay, you would be able to tell which bits don't sound that great - I recommend proof-reading for a minute or so after every paragraph you've written, just so you have the space to rewrite anything you want to. When proof-reading, I think it's important to check if you're repeating any specific words/phrases constantly, as this may be a thing the examiner picks up on when reading the essay.

I hope I helped!

Quick Reply

Latest