The Student Room Group

I can't stop lying, and I hate it.

I don't know if this makes me a bad person. At this point I don't really care, as the problem is tearing me apart more than it is to my outward moral figure. My issue is one which has grown from a thorn in my side to a vile weed which has ensnared my entire likeness in its ugly grasp. I used to be able to ignore these impulsive urges to just deceive and lie to those I love, but as I've grown it has become more of a daily struggle. The real issue started when I started spending time with new friends. Whenever I talk about myself I get this compulsive urge I can't ignore to lie- and sometimes when they leave my mouth it doesn't really feel like me talking. This continued for a while. I would say I tried to stop it, but in truth i really didn't. I let this spiral out of control, and now I can't be honest about anything. It's a feedback loop which grows out of control like a rampant cancer. The more I lie, the easier it becomes to lie, and the more I lie. It's become less of a social issue at this point, and more of a problem for my own identity. I don't know who I am anymore. I've buried myself under so many different "masks" of fake identities that I don't know what I actually am like anymore. I go to a counselor, but no surprise, I've spent the last 9 months lying to her too. Our sessions are pointless because I lie about my issues, which seems like something I could fix myself but I just... can't. no matter what I do. This has been something tearing my identity apart for a couple years now and I just don't know what to do anymore.
I know I need help. I just don't know how to do it.
Have you tried to reflect on precisely why it is you lie so much? Is it to ide or embellish parts of yourself that you don't like, are insecure about and so on?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know if this makes me a bad person. At this point I don't really care, as the problem is tearing me apart more than it is to my outward moral figure. My issue is one which has grown from a thorn in my side to a vile weed which has ensnared my entire likeness in its ugly grasp. I used to be able to ignore these impulsive urges to just deceive and lie to those I love, but as I've grown it has become more of a daily struggle. The real issue started when I started spending time with new friends. Whenever I talk about myself I get this compulsive urge I can't ignore to lie- and sometimes when they leave my mouth it doesn't really feel like me talking. This continued for a while. I would say I tried to stop it, but in truth i really didn't. I let this spiral out of control, and now I can't be honest about anything. It's a feedback loop which grows out of control like a rampant cancer. The more I lie, the easier it becomes to lie, and the more I lie. It's become less of a social issue at this point, and more of a problem for my own identity. I don't know who I am anymore. I've buried myself under so many different "masks" of fake identities that I don't know what I actually am like anymore. I go to a counselor, but no surprise, I've spent the last 9 months lying to her too. Our sessions are pointless because I lie about my issues, which seems like something I could fix myself but I just... can't. no matter what I do. This has been something tearing my identity apart for a couple years now and I just don't know what to do anymore.
I know I need help. I just don't know how to do it.

I hope you feel better, but the way you worded this sounds like satire lol
Reply 3
Original post by LIUDD
I hope you feel better, but the way you worded this sounds like satire lol

Not satire I just felt the need to use colourful language to express the situation

Quick Reply

Latest