The Student Room Group

Selective mutism

I have been suffering with severe symptoms of selective mutism for several years now. I have asked my parents on several occasions for me to get it tested for it has been effecting my every day life but they will not let me. I don’t know how or who to go to to get it tested for so if anyone knows please will you let me know what I should do in this situation.
okay, personally i have had symptoms of a dissociative disorder (DPDR) for a while now, have opened up to my parents, they are “looking into it” realistically they r going to forget about it, but i guess depending on your age and your situation, there are ways to get help! if you are in education it would be a good idea to go talk to your school councillor this could be a way to get your parents to do something for you since the school is aware your parents are more likely to take it seriously, if it’s easier write an email or take a friend with you! or even if you are able to, i suggest go talking to the gp yourself, it can be hard living with symptoms of something that effects you everyday, i know ,, it’s also very important that you have a support system that you can confide in! friends? sibling? even diary? i hope u get through this! ❤️
Reply 2
I'm sorry you are going through this OP, and that your parents are not being very supportive - must be so isolating :frown: If getting any support irl is not going to be possible at the moment, it might be worth getting in touch with an organisation like Childline - they won't be able to diagnose you, but their counsellors can still provide support and advice, and you can contact them online via email or chat so you don't actually have to speak to anyone. Good luck and I hope you are able to get some help with things :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest