The Student Room Group

DWP Work Coach Hours

I recently received a conditional offer for the work coach role at DWP - which I'm literally over the moon about.

I have requested for part time hours (as I have a 1 year old and also study full time). They have advised of Saturday working and one late a week.

Saturday working is fine, but a weekday late will be far too tricky on a weekly basis. Does anyone know if this is compulsory to the role?

I've made them aware I'd happily work extra Saturdays in exchange for not working the late shift.

Whilst I wait for their response, does anyone know if I should give up hope on this request?
Reply 1
Original post by 4lala
I recently received a conditional offer for the work coach role at DWP - which I'm literally over the moon about.

I have requested for part time hours (as I have a 1 year old and also study full time). They have advised of Saturday working and one late a week.

Saturday working is fine, but a weekday late will be far too tricky on a weekly basis. Does anyone know if this is compulsory to the role?

I've made them aware I'd happily work extra Saturdays in exchange for not working the late shift.

Whilst I wait for their response, does anyone know if I should give up hope on this request?

Hey. I’m in a similar position. Have you heard back from them? I feel their being awkward with me request for part time hours.
Reply 2
Original post by Yulelog23
Hey. I’m in a similar position. Have you heard back from them? I feel their being awkward with me request for part time hours.

Hey!

It took about two weeks of negotiation, but we have settled to an arrangement.

It's part of their 'employee deal' that EOs/workcoaches work a one late a week and Saturday per month - they didn't budge on that. Although didn't mention the late and only Saturday when we agreed on hours - I'll habe to see when my contract arrives!

How are they being awkward? They did want to know why I couldn't work full time.

Any news now? I hope it all works out for you!
Reply 3
I don't know if this is necessarily the case now (or the same at every office) but when I was a work coach previously under 'employee deal' these were the stipulations:

1 Saturday in 6
1 5pm finish every 2 weeks
1 6:30pm finish in 6

These could vary by office for a couple of reasons such as number of staff working there and number of Job Centres in your 'cluster'. Some offices may require each person to do at least one 5pm finish each week. The Saturday and 6:30pm are likely to be anywhere between 1 in 4 and 1 in 8~ I think.
Reply 4
Original post by HavakPkmn
I don't know if this is necessarily the case now (or the same at every office) but when I was a work coach previously under 'employee deal' these were the stipulations:

1 Saturday in 6
1 5pm finish every 2 weeks
1 6:30pm finish in 6

These could vary by office for a couple of reasons such as number of staff working there and number of Job Centres in your 'cluster'. Some offices may require each person to do at least one 5pm finish each week. The Saturday and 6:30pm are likely to be anywhere between 1 in 4 and 1 in 8~ I think.

Thank you!

From your experience, if your assigned jobcentre isn't open on a Saturday - are you required to work at an alternative center?

My city has about 3/4 job centers! The one I've been sent to isn't open but they made sure to let me know about Saturday working.
Reply 5
Original post by 4lala
Thank you!

From your experience, if your assigned jobcentre isn't open on a Saturday - are you required to work at an alternative center?

My city has about 3/4 job centers! The one I've been sent to isn't open but they made sure to let me know about Saturday working.

I have worked at a Job Centre that wasn't open on Saturday and was exempt. I also knew of another Job Centre in our cluster that was not open Saturday and was exempt. However, I can't confirm if this is what happens everywhere. Some clusters/regions may require you to go to another site, or things may have changed since.
Reply 6
Original post by 4lala
Hey!

It took about two weeks of negotiation, but we have settled to an arrangement.

It's part of their 'employee deal' that EOs/workcoaches work a one late a week and Saturday per month - they didn't budge on that. Although didn't mention the late and only Saturday when we agreed on hours - I'll habe to see when my contract arrives!

How are they being awkward? They did want to know why I couldn't work full time.

Any news now? I hope it all works out for you!

Hi. Did you settle on fixed days or a number of days or are you 5 days but shorter hours. ?

I’m also curious to know part time hours as for now it will get me through until my little starts school next yr. But my friend who works as a coach said they woild rather me be in 5 days but reduced hours.
Reply 7
Original post by Mrselh
Hi. Did you settle on fixed days or a number of days or are you 5 days but shorter hours. ?

I’m also curious to know part time hours as for now it will get me through until my little starts school next yr. But my friend who works as a coach said they woild rather me be in 5 days but reduced hours.

Settled for fixed days.

It might be location dependant as to what they prefer - the recruitment team told me they were looking for cover on specific days and a min of 30 hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending