The Student Room Group

Economics

Is it better to do a placement yr in economics and do university for 4 yrs or not doing a placement yr and doing uni for 3 yrs?
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy
Is it better to do a placement yr in economics and do university for 4 yrs or not doing a placement yr and doing uni for 3 yrs?

There's no objective answer to this question.

It depends on what placement year you end up applying to and getting job offers for, whether you end up enjoying it, whether it helps you to gain a better understanding of what sort of career you want (either in the field of your placement if you enjoy it, or at least it let's you know what you're unlikely to enjoy as a graduate).

Unfortunately, most of the answers to these questions are only known in retrospect, rather than before doing a placement year. In general, I think if you get a decent placement offer, I'd recommend it though, both for future job opportunities, a taste of the real world, and because there's research showing that students returning from placement years tend to do better in their final year (tho the reasons for this are a little up in the air).
Reply 2
Issue with not doing a placement year is that you may be competing for jobs with others who have done one. On the other hand looking for a placement, applying and preparing for an interview takes a lot of time away from your studies and could affect the outcome of your overall degree grade. I think it depends on how well you can cope studying for your degree and looking for a placement at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending