The Student Room Group

OSCE Help

Hey guys,

From the UK- just got news that I passed my OSCE but once by a zinch. This has got me thinking that I need to make major improvements.

As recommended by seniors, I had followed OSCEBank templates. I had used the template without missing a single thing (and obviously adapting it to the scenario given) but more often than not I got an average mark for the Clinical section [which is the history taking, etc]. In fact, I had failed one of the sections (which was a fever in a traveller hx)- this was disappointing because I had done all the important diffferentials for this scenario and also did a very extensive travel history- as per OSCEBank.

This has got me really concerned because OSCEBank is highly recommended but it has failed me (in a sense). I don't know what other resources are available- I tried OSCEStop but the marking schemes are highly disappointing

This is a seriously worried medical student that would appreciate any advice with OSCE

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
Do you get individual feedback to help identify where you lost marks?

Just because you tick all the boxes for history etc, doesn’t mean you’ve met all the domains. Osce guides are there to give you a framework but you have to build on it.
For example, what was your rapport like with the actor/patient. Did you smile, sound confident etc? Did you pick up on the clues given by the patient or just move on to the next point in your osce list? E.g you can get the mark for asking family history, but you’ll get the extra marks if you pick up them mentioning a family history of X and exploring it and it’s relevance to the station.

It sounds like you need to practice with other people so they can pick up on things like this. I’m sure there will be plenty of people in your year who will be happy to do group practice (and probably a few junior doctors who will do osce practice in exchange for teaching feedback for portfolios!)
Original post by ForestCat
Do you get individual feedback to help identify where you lost marks?

Just because you tick all the boxes for history etc, doesn’t mean you’ve met all the domains. Osce guides are there to give you a framework but you have to build on it.
For example, what was your rapport like with the actor/patient. Did you smile, sound confident etc? Did you pick up on the clues given by the patient or just move on to the next point in your osce list? E.g you can get the mark for asking family history, but you’ll get the extra marks if you pick up them mentioning a family history of X and exploring it and it’s relevance to the station.

It sounds like you need to practice with other people so they can pick up on things like this. I’m sure there will be plenty of people in your year who will be happy to do group practice (and probably a few junior doctors who will do osce practice in exchange for teaching feedback for portfolios!)

Hey unfortunately not- the marking scheme is not based on tickboxes but is based on how well we did something- so something like, “clear fair, borderline fail, average, above average and good” and any feedback is dependent on what the marker decides to give to so my facilitator is unable to give any advice

For some stations, the clinical history taking component i only got an average but it don’t make sense in my head because I did OSCEBank template word to word (obviously adapting to the pt scenario) so am worried if there is more that needs to be done that wasn’t done

For the patient interaction component, they told me that mine was like a rapidfire. But if i didn’t do rapidfire, then i can’t possibly get through the whole history so it is incredibly concerning to me

We have to do OSCE next year too so i am incredibly concerned

Are there any resources you can recommend, eg like the geekymedics osce, etc

Thanks a lot
Reply 3
I think you need to practice with other people rather than use any other resources. Being rapid fire isn’t a good thing in osces, it shows you’re just focussed on finishing your list rather than actually taking the history and interacting properly.

What stage are you at? Do you have much patient interaction? Practicing histories and learning how to direct the conversation with very talky patients will help. You need to get to the point where your list of questions is easily recalled but you can adapt it to the patient.

Osces aren’t about tote memorisation in the same way written papers are. They test your application of knowledge, be that in how your perform a skill and interpret results, or convert a list of history questions into a fluid conversation that leaves the patient satisfied that you’ve covered everything AND listened to them
Original post by ForestCat
I think you need to practice with other people rather than use any other resources. Being rapid fire isn’t a good thing in osces, it shows you’re just focussed on finishing your list rather than actually taking the history and interacting properly.

What stage are you at? Do you have much patient interaction? Practicing histories and learning how to direct the conversation with very talky patients will help. You need to get to the point where your list of questions is easily recalled but you can adapt it to the patient.

Osces aren’t about tote memorisation in the same way written papers are. They test your application of knowledge, be that in how your perform a skill and interpret results, or convert a list of history questions into a fluid conversation that leaves the patient satisfied that you’ve covered everything AND listened to them

Hey that is very fair. I've never had any negative feedback from the consultants for patient communication in the past- in fact positive comments. Perhaps, I should find a way to slow down a tad during OSCE

In addition to practice with other mates, I wondered if you have any resources you could recommend and/or recommend any where I can find tutors for OSCE- as it is going to be done online, I'm sure it doesn't matter where they are from

Any bit of advice is much appreciated- since our start at uni, med school has been incredibly unhelpful and I have no one else to turn to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending