The Student Room Group

Will I fail my OSCE in 2nd year for not asking patient if they have allergy?

Hello.
So I had my OSCE last week and really scared I will need to resit...
It consisted of 3 stations and feel I may of failed the last 2 due to silly mistakes due to nerves.
I kept struggling to pronounce words and then i would forget my structure of what to do next. It made me go off track.
Firstly, when talking g about administering medication I forgot to ask the patient if they had any allergies but did ask name and dob. But I did state I would check medical records and wrist band for allergies.
Then during nipe I said I would remove hat and did but forgot to put it back on but did say I would only uncover the Areas of examination due to thermoregulation.
Would this cause me to fail and have to do a resit?
Any advice to help me prepare if I do need to resit once grades come back would be appreciated. Or any familiar situations and what happened.
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Mstudent312
Hello.
So I had my OSCE last week and really scared I will need to resit...
It consisted of 3 stations and feel I may of failed the last 2 due to silly mistakes due to nerves.
I kept struggling to pronounce words and then i would forget my structure of what to do next. It made me go off track.
Firstly, when talking g about administering medication I forgot to ask the patient if they had any allergies but did ask name and dob. But I did state I would check medical records and wrist band for allergies.
Then during nipe I said I would remove hat and did but forgot to put it back on but did say I would only uncover the Areas of examination due to thermoregulation.
Would this cause me to fail and have to do a resit?
Any advice to help me prepare if I do need to resit once grades come back would be appreciated. Or any familiar situations and what happened.
Thank you

Wait and see what feedback you get. I don’t know whether the errors you made would result in loss of marks or anything without seeing the marking matrix that your examiners use. You addressed allergy status and mentioned it, so you may be ok. Take feedback on board and use it going forwards, either in practice or in resits if you have to do them.

The trick with osces imo is to practice, practice, practice. Think about it like rehearsing for a performance. Remember to link the things you are doing or looking for to theory, but the more you practice the easier it becomes. Do you know what your osces are going to be about or are they blind?
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
Wait and see what feedback you get. I don’t know whether the errors you made would result in loss of marks or anything without seeing the marking matrix that your examiners use. You addressed allergy status and mentioned it, so you may be ok. Take feedback on board and use it going forwards, either in practice or in resits if you have to do them.

The trick with osces imo is to practice, practice, practice. Think about it like rehearsing for a performance. Remember to link the things you are doing or looking for to theory, but the more you practice the easier it becomes. Do you know what your osces are going to be about or are they blind?

Thank you for replying. We knew what the Osce was around such as pharmacology and pathophysiology of a pregnancy induced condition such as gdm or pre-eclampsia and then one of the 4 core screening elements of the nipe. I practiced practiced and practiced everyday for a month but on all the possible 8 topics that we was told it may be. I think nerves just get the better of me and I get knocked off flow when I pronounce a word wrong and I flap a little.
Hi there,

Usually, you would not fail an OSCE for omitting to ask if they have an allergy.
You can lose a point for it, however, you can fail if you are administering medication without asking, but you did redeem by stating you would check the wristband etc.
It's not uncommon for people to have to resit second-year OSCE's, and they do factor into account nerves, and as long as you verbalise your plan, you'll be fine.

Things that can make someone fail are disastrous mistakes, such as large amounts of insulin or any other medication that would cause serious harm or death.

I wouldn't sit and worry, as this won't do you any favours, and if you do need to resit, you'll know which areas to improve upon

Nat
LJMU Student Nurse and Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending