The Student Room Group

ucas and mental health TW

I'm currently in year 13 and I don't have the best predicted grades due to my performance in year 12. In year 12 I was struggling with my mental health and I almost attempted to k myself. I was took into A&E and home based treating came to my house the next day. I have spent a lot of time off year 12 due to my mental health because of depression and PTSD which is causing this. I am currently a lot better and my mental health is improved significantly as I have healthy coping techniques and regularly see my school counsellor. Although my ucas predictions are very low and I would love to go to a rusell group university. My teachers don't know about my situation and think I am being lazy. I have asked to do more tests to increase my predicted grade but they said no. I'm not academically incompetent and I have potential but I just had a bad start. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?
If you don’t have good grades, you can’t go to a good university. If there’s any specific reason for your bad mental health (family death or terminal illness of a family member) you can put it down as extenuating circumstances. But you having mental health issues cannot be put down as extenuating circumstances (I believe). You could maybe get an extra 1% added on.

And maybe explain your situation to your teachers so they will allow you to take some more tests. Not telling them isn't really helping your situation and predicted grades.

Try and get good grades in year 13 and then reapply in your gap year. Good luck xx

Also, which uni you go to doesn't really matter.
Hello there,

I am sorry to hear that, it is good that you are working on your mental health as that is definitely important.

You have a few options.

1) You could apply to a russell group through clearing on results day, normally the grades are lowered but this may be risky as it depends on if there are spaces left on the course.

2) You could take a gap year and apply next year through ucas when you have your alevel grades as you will be able to 100% receive an offer as long as you meet the entry requirements.

3) Apply for the foundation year course (if available) instead as this would naturally require lower grades than the 1st year course and you may be able to move onto it before starting uni if you achieve higher than the foundation year requirements
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
If you don’t have good grades, you can’t go to a good university. If there’s any specific reason for your bad mental health (family death or terminal illness of a family member) you can put it down as extenuating circumstances. But you having mental health issues cannot be put down as extenuating circumstances (I believe). You could maybe get an extra 1% added on.

And maybe explain your situation to your teachers so they will allow you to take some more tests. Not telling them isn't really helping your situation and predicted grades.

Try and get good grades in year 13 and then reapply in your gap year. Good luck xx

Also, which uni you go to doesn't really matter.

I feel like all the work I have put in for the past couple of months is for nothing
Sorry to hear of all you've been through. I'm very surprised to hear your teachers don't know about any of this. What's your reason for not telling them? They can't support your UCAS application properly if they don't have all the info. It's in your interests (UCAS-wise and health-wise) to tell them :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry to hear of all you've been through. I'm very surprised to hear your teachers don't know about any of this. What's your reason for not telling them? They can't support your UCAS application properly if they don't have all the info. It's in your interests (UCAS-wise and health-wise) to tell them :smile:

I just feel like its awkward for to tell them when I'm not even close to them
I just feel like its awkward for to tell them when I'm not even close to them

Does your school counsellor know about all this? Perhaps they could tell your teachers on your behalf if you feel awkward doing this. You deserve better support and the chance to shine, so I really would strongly advise you tell them somehow. Especially if you want a shot at Russell Group unis (though, depending on which unis you're thinking of, they might not be the best environment for you anyway)...
Reply 7
Does your school counsellor know about all this? Perhaps they could tell your teachers on your behalf if you feel awkward doing this. You deserve better support and the chance to shine, so I really would strongly advise you tell them somehow. Especially if you want a shot at Russell Group unis (though, depending on which unis you're thinking of, they might not be the best environment for you anyway)...

I really want to go to @University of Birmingham
I really want to go to @University of Birmingham

I don't know enough about that uni to comment. I really do think you should tell your teachers, though :yes:

I second this

Quick Reply

Latest