The Student Room Group

UK government loses Rwanda scheme appeal in the Supreme Court

The UK government has lost its appeal in the Supreme Court, which has ruled the Rwanda asylum scheme unlawful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-67418363

This is on the grounds that asylum-seekers sent to Rwanda would be at risk of 'refoulement', being sent back to the country they fled from. The court pointed to a similar deal with Israel that Rwanda has not implemented as agreed, and Rwanda's own asylum policy.

The political implications of this ruling will continue to play out.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
I never saw this as a legitimate solution to the number of asylum applications anymore than putting a few hundred asylum applicants on a barge was a solution to the massive hotel bill the Conservatives have ran up.

This was always about generating favourable headlines because conservative voters will continue to vote Conservative for just talking the talk despite the party’s 13 year history of failing to delivery on their migration policies.
(edited 5 months ago)
Another garbage, obviously unfeasible policy in the bin.

This is what happens when you have an endless parade of no talent cabinet members.
Of course the best option is to stop them coming over illegally in the first place. They should be apply and be granted asylum before stepping foot in the uk.
Good, inhumane nonsense from a failed government egged on by the worst of us.
I like how Rwanda has 0 intent of giving back any of our £150 odd million for the 0 people we were able to traffic to them.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by StriderHort
I like how Rwanda has 0 intent of giving back any of our £150 odd million for the 0 people we were able to traffic to them.

Why? They didn't break thier end of the deal.
Good decision.
Original post by Guru Jason

I'm not complaining, it's just reward to get bumped on such a dodgy deal. But it would be more in UKs interests to have given it all to me at least.
Complete and utter waste of money.
Original post by Guru Jason

When you enter the world of work and start taxes and realise that the fruits on of your labour are being taken from by a fiscally reckless Conservative government to be ****ed up the wall like this, you’ll understand why people aren’t happy.
Original post by Gazpacho.
When you enter the world of work and start taxes and realise that the fruits on of your labour are being taken from by a fiscally reckless Conservative government to be ****ed up the wall like this, you’ll understand why people aren’t happy.

Like i get that, but its not Rwanda's fault the uk pulled out.
Votes on amendments in the UK tonight, all fialed. But a significant Tory rebellion. The Rwanda bill could fail tomorrow. Don’t need that many tories to rebel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending