The Student Room Group

Is a degree in Management Information Systems worth it?

Is it a good professional degree? Is it useless if I do it from a tier 2 or tier 3 universities? The thing is I don't have good academic background. I have a master's degree in economics and I have always been good in maths and stats.
Original post by masala_peanuts
Is it a good professional degree? Is it useless if I do it from a tier 2 or tier 3 universities? The thing is I don't have good academic background. I have a master's degree in economics and I have always been good in maths and stats.

I presume you intend to get the degree in the UK.

A number of questions come to mind:

Why do you want to do a master's in MIS?

What do you intend to do with the degree afterwards?

Why do you think doing a degree in MIS will help you?

What makes you think doing a second master's in a professional field where they don't require it will help you?

What makes you think your prospective employer will care what qualifications you have?

Where do you intend to work after your degree and in which field?

What do you specifically mean by worth it? Is it a good course? Will it satisfy your curiosity? Will you enjoy it? - I hate these vague and personal questions since there's no set criteria and my criteria can be completely different to yours

What makes you think getting the degree from a Tier 2 or 3 university will make a difference if you intend to go into industry, especially in IT where which uni you did your degree means little to nothing?

What makes you think we categorise our degrees as professional or academic in the UK? - if you don't intend to do the degree in the UK, please ignore

Your maths background should be fine for the degree, even though I don't think you will use that much maths compared to say a degree in computer science.

Still there's not enough information for people to help. You would need to include far more detail and be a lot more specific for anyone to help. People don't usually advise based on assumptions or presume everyone has the same values/can read your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending