The Student Room Group

Law degree and QWE

I could do with a sense check from others who may be in the same situation. I'm considering a career change from HR to employment solicitor, I'm 40 and have no undergraduate degree. In my head, I can do a 4 year LLB whilst gaining QWE by volunteering at a law clinic, sit the SQE1 and 2 when I've finished my degree and then crack on with getting admitted to the roll and working as a solicitor. I would have to work full time as well, but I currently do that and freelance work which I manage with flex time and annual leave. The freelance work would have to drop or go completey to make it work. Am I being naive?
Reply 1
Original post by Js2013js
I could do with a sense check from others who may be in the same situation. I'm considering a career change from HR to employment solicitor, I'm 40 and have no undergraduate degree. In my head, I can do a 4 year LLB whilst gaining QWE by volunteering at a law clinic, sit the SQE1 and 2 when I've finished my degree and then crack on with getting admitted to the roll and working as a solicitor. I would have to work full time as well, but I currently do that and freelance work which I manage with flex time and annual leave. The freelance work would have to drop or go completey to make it work. Am I being naive?

It's worth noting that under the SQE system, you no longer need a law degree. It might be quicker to complete a tailored course to get you through the relevant exams?

Also, will the law clinic sign you and your QWE up?
Reply 2
Yes the law clinic specifically advertise that the work undertaken falls under Qwe and will be signed off. I have no other degree so I'm under the impression I can't just do the Sqe and then qualify, if I have to do a degree it may as well be a law one - is the logic I'm following.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending