The Student Room Group

sixth form?? maybe????

i'll explain my situation a little first.

i left secondary school halfway through year 10 because i was really, critically mentally ill and had such an awful experience and was so lonely at my old school, and ever since january 2023 i've been doing a home tuition scheme. we've predicted i'll leave year eleven with around 7/8 GCSEs.

i know it's still september, but i really need advice on picking what to do for higher education. i always thought i wanted to go to college, this was until i made a beautiful new friend group who all go to another school that has a sixth form, along with my partner, who's my whole world.

i think part of the reason why i was so lonely at my old school is because i had zero friends. i'm neurodivergent and i've always struggled to make friends, which is why i'm considering going to the same sixth form as my friends rather than college where i won't know anybody.

whether i go to sixth form or college, the A Levels i'm choosing are english literature, drama, and film/media studies (i'd like to do a split degree in literature in drama at uni too). in terms of distance/transport, if i go to sixth form, it's only fifteen, maybe twenty minutes away by car, and i'd have to get two busses to get home but it'll be a less than an hour journey, not to mention my partner and friends live locally to the school. for college, it's a 50+ minute car/bus journey.

i didn't have the best attendance in secondary, but keeping in mind i was also cripplingly suicidal, i also didn't have much motivation to go in - teachers were not understanding, i didn't have any friends at all. but i'm thinking now i'll be able to cope with sixth form bc i'm better and i actually know people??? also i need routine and structure and idk sixth form seems that it can provide me with that.

i think i'm doubting myself bc all my siblings did college and. idk. help!!!!
Reply 1
Sounds like you’ve got a great plan! Go to the sixth form with your friend group, do your Alevels, sorted! Why even consider college in your situation?
Reply 2
Remember that when/if a sixth form looks at your attendance your mental health will/should be taken into account and they may be more lenient. Still, if you pass the grade requirements I doubt it'll matter anyway.
Hi! It sounds like you have a lot of positives for sixth form, you've got friends that you're looking forward to seeing as motivation, a more manageable journey and you feel excited for it! Look into college if you'd like, but picking it to impress your siblings shouldn't drive your decision, do what you feel is best for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending