The Student Room Group

Is there a better chance to get into university if I pick college or sixth form?

Hi, I am in year 10 and I'm trying to look in the future. Next year is going to be my GCSE'S and after that I don't know if I should go to college or sixth form. But I really want to go to university.

Please help!
I don't think it makes much of a difference really. Think it all depends on your grades. I went to a college while my friend went to a sixth form and we both ended up at the same uni
Original post by K3lly05
Hi, I am in year 10 and I'm trying to look in the future. Next year is going to be my GCSE'S and after that I don't know if I should go to college or sixth form. But I really want to go to university.

Please help!

Hi,

It really shouldn't make a difference. Universities will look at your grades, subjects and skills when considering your application so you need to pick whichever has the subjects you want. Atmosphere and learning style are also important factors when making a decision.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
Original post by K3lly05

Please help!

It depends if you can self motivate or if you need the structure of school to keep you on the right track. Schools tend to have more rules and chase students up more if they start missing lessons/homework whereas colleges tend to be more relaxed. So sixth form is better for some people but not everyone.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
It depends if you can self motivate or if you need the structure of school to keep you on the right track. Schools tend to have more rules and chase students up more if they start missing lessons/homework whereas colleges tend to be more relaxed. So sixth form is better for some people but not everyone.

Thank you very much
Reply 5
Original post by redpanda64
I don't think it makes much of a difference really. Think it all depends on your grades. I went to a college while my friend went to a sixth form and we both ended up at the same uni

Hi there,
What was the grade you got to get into university? Also what university did you go to?
Reply 6
Original post by 666tiger
Hi there,
What was the grade you got to get into university? Also what university did you go to?

Hi, I got A* in Law, A in Business and B in Accounting. Currently at Newcastle
Reply 7
Original post by K3lly05
Hi, I got A* in Law, A in Business and B in Accounting. Currently at Newcastle

What college did you go, if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 8
It really won't make a difference. You'll be learning the same a levels/btecs/qualifications in both. Neither gives you a better advantage.

Only times a uni will care is if your college/sixth form is contextual. So if your school has very poor average a level grades unis may consider that you were at a 'disadvantage' perhaps with the resources given, and take it into consideration when offering you a place. They don't care if you go to the same sixth form where you went to school, or the local college, or if you manage to get into an expensive top of the leagues selective college. They care about your grades.

Pick whichever one offers the subjects you like/want to take, which seems like better for, friends' choices, how far is it, do you have to pay etc. I only went to my sixth form and the top college in the UK's open days. The top college strived for 'academic excellence' and sending students to oxbridge/prestigious unis - things I really value. I enjoyed both but in the end I decided to stay at my sixth form as I wanted to stay with my friends for two years, wasn't ready for the big change, and didn't want a 7-5 school day. With my grades I likely could have met the scholarship requirements if they accepted me, but I feel more comfortable where I am now, which is by far nowhere near the top sixth forms in the country. However I can do the A levels I want, I know the teachers so they know my potential and my classes are small so I can have more one to one time with teachers on concepts I don't understand.

It's your choice - neither will give you more of an advantage than the other when unis consider you. Just work hard, get the grades, try your best.

Quick Reply

Latest