The Student Room Group

OU funding

I am currently coming to the end of my first year studying a speech and language degree but it is looking like I may not be able to continue into the 2nd year due to health so I am exploring other possibilities.

Due to my health & disability I may not be able to attend a brick uni so would like to consider open university study, full time, for which I may be able to count some credits for previous study and just do year 2 & 3.

I would like to find out if I would be eligible for any tuition fee funding. I have had one year of funding on an unfinished midwifery degree 2020-21 (also started a retake year 2021-22 but did not have to pay tuition fee for that year). And now a year’s tuition fee for the speech & language 2022-23.

It is likely to be an Open degree, to be able to transfer previous study credits. However, if tuition fee is only payable for certain degrees, I would be interested to find out eligibility for those too.

I would also like to find out if I would be eligible for maintenance loans/grants as I would not be able to attend a brick uni (because they don’t do credit transfer/open degree, and also because of my health/disability). If so, how much is available if I intend to study at the full-time rate.

Many thanks
Original post by indecisiveornot
I am currently coming to the end of my first year studying a speech and language degree but it is looking like I may not be able to continue into the 2nd year due to health so I am exploring other possibilities.

Due to my health & disability I may not be able to attend a brick uni so would like to consider open university study, full time, for which I may be able to count some credits for previous study and just do year 2 & 3.

I would like to find out if I would be eligible for any tuition fee funding. I have had one year of funding on an unfinished midwifery degree 2020-21 (also started a retake year 2021-22 but did not have to pay tuition fee for that year). And now a year’s tuition fee for the speech & language 2022-23.

It is likely to be an Open degree, to be able to transfer previous study credits. However, if tuition fee is only payable for certain degrees, I would be interested to find out eligibility for those too.

I would also like to find out if I would be eligible for maintenance loans/grants as I would not be able to attend a brick uni (because they don’t do credit transfer/open degree, and also because of my health/disability). If so, how much is available if I intend to study at the full-time rate.

Many thanks

Hi there,

Can you confirm if you hold any qualifications currently? What course are you looking to study now?

If you decide to study at the Open University, students are eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan only. However, new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability will be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. You will need to provide evidence of your disability and how this prevents you from attending a university and it will be up to the assessor if accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Can you confirm if you hold any qualifications currently? What course are you looking to study now?

If you decide to study at the Open University, students are eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan only. However, new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability will be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. You will need to provide evidence of your disability and how this prevents you from attending a university and it will be up to the assessor if accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

I completed one full and one partial year of midwifery, so don't have a degree but was awarded a cert of HE for the completed first year. Also completed partial year of speech and language but no qualification.

Tuition fee loan - I have had 2 years of tuition fee loans paid for previous study - would I still get this for OU?
Is OU tuition fee loan subject dependant? I read that it's only for maths/science? I'm hoping to do an Open Degree because I could transfer previous credits and possibly only have to do Yr 2 & 3.

Part-time maintenance loan - would it still be p/time even if I was studying at the full-time rate?

What sort of evidence? Is PIP sufficient? Open degrees aren't a thing at a brick uni - does that help?

Thanks.
Original post by indecisiveornot
I completed one full and one partial year of midwifery, so don't have a degree but was awarded a cert of HE for the completed first year. Also completed partial year of speech and language but no qualification.

Tuition fee loan - I have had 2 years of tuition fee loans paid for previous study - would I still get this for OU?
Is OU tuition fee loan subject dependant? I read that it's only for maths/science? I'm hoping to do an Open Degree because I could transfer previous credits and possibly only have to do Yr 2 & 3.

Part-time maintenance loan - would it still be p/time even if I was studying at the full-time rate?

What sort of evidence? Is PIP sufficient? Open degrees aren't a thing at a brick uni - does that help?

Thanks.

Hi there, what course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start?

You can find out more about part time funding here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students

https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/products/part-time-undergraduate-education/part-time-maintenance-loan/eligibility/#:~:text=Students%20studying%20a%20distance%20learning%20course%20cannot%20get,course%20in%20person%20because%20they%20have%20a%20disability.

In order for the team to review your eligibility for Maintenance Loan you would need to send the following evidence for the team to review:
- Medical evidence from their GP and/or Consultant confirming that the student’s condition prevents them from travelling to/from their HEP and physically attending a higher education course.

- Information from the student of the equivalent course and HEP that they wished to attend but are unable to do so (an equivalent course is one with the same or similar title in the subject matter). Examples of evidence for this can include but is not limited to a covering letter from the student, copies of emails between the student and a HEP discussing a course, copies of a course outline.
- Details about any current employment the student has or benefits they claim. This should outline any difficulties the student has

- How the student’s disability affects their day to day life

Once this has been received and reviewed the team will confirm the funding you are entitled to receive.

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending