The Student Room Group

Could I get into a Biochemistry/Biomedical sciences/Medicine course without Biology?

Hi, I used to take chemistry/biology/computer science/maths, then I switched biology to further maths. Would I still be able to get into these courses at a good university? (I am going to try my best for a top 10 uni.) What would I need to do extra to make sure?
(edited 5 months ago)
Hello,

My name is Haya, and I am a final year medical student at UCLan. I remember when I was applying to medical school, a lot of the universities required Chemistry but not Biology, so I think that you still have a very good chance

My advice would be to email the universities you are interested in ahead of time, and see if they offer alternative offers.

UClan for example https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs accepts two sciences including Chemistry.

Alternatively, you can try to study the subject on your own and attempt the exams for a higher chance ? ( this might be a bit difficult with already 4 alevels)

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBS 5
Reply 2
Original post by UCLan Student
Hello,

My name is Haya, and I am a final year medical student at UCLan. I remember when I was applying to medical school, a lot of the universities required Chemistry but not Biology, so I think that you still have a very good chance

My advice would be to email the universities you are interested in ahead of time, and see if they offer alternative offers.

UClan for example https://www.uclan.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/medicine-mbbs accepts two sciences including Chemistry.

Alternatively, you can try to study the subject on your own and attempt the exams for a higher chance ? ( this might be a bit difficult with already 4 alevels)

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBS 5

Thank you a lot for replying, also though,
"Alternatively, you can try to study the subject on your own and attempt the exams for a higher chance ?" If I were to try this, how would I get put in the exams? My school only does 3/4 A-levels. (This is just in case I need to choose this option, but I will definitely try emailing unis that I am interested in.)
Original post by cabbageookie
Thank you a lot for replying, also though,
"Alternatively, you can try to study the subject on your own and attempt the exams for a higher chance ?" If I were to try this, how would I get put in the exams? My school only does 3/4 A-levels. (This is just in case I need to choose this option, but I will definitely try emailing unis that I am interested in.)

Hello,

Check out this website https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-parent-support/private-candidates#:~:text=A%20private%20candidate%20is%20someone,with%20us%20in%20the%20UK.

It will give you more information on this.

Good luck,
Haya- MBBS 5
Hi, I used to take chemistry/biology/computer science/maths, then I switched biology to further maths. Would I still be able to get into these courses at a good university? (I am going to try my best for a top 10 uni.) What would I need to do extra to make sure?

Hi There,

Please find below our Biochemistry entry requirements - AAB. We require Chemistry and a second science - Maths and Further maths are considered as a second science for this course.

BSc Biochemistry course - Undergraduate degree programme study - C700 - University of Birmingham

We hope this helps.

LES Student Recruitment Team

Hi @cabbageookie

In my experience applying for biochemistry courses, most I looked at only had chemistry as a required A-level and that you studied at least one/two other science subjects as well - so you would meet those requirements and could definitely find some places to apply to!

I am less sure about applying for biomedicine/biomedical science related degrees, as I don't have experience of applying for those. Lancaster does require a biology A level for both of those courses.

I think someone on TSR has helpfully complied a list of university requirements for medicine, and plenty don't require biology. I've found this list, I'm not sure how up to date it is but I'm sure it could be a good starting point? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

I will say, from my experience studying a bioscience at university, A level biology really helped me (although they do very much go back to basics in first year so you should be fine) so maybe read over some online resources or a revision guide for the subject? It could help you figure out if you definitely want to study a biology related degree at university and also give you some ideas for areas to mention in your personal statement.

I hope I could help, good luck with your applications!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending