The Student Room Group

Is computer science that heavily math based?

Hi, I’m planning on studying foundation year comp sci at uni and everyone says that it’s very math based, is this true? Would a person who’s weak in math like myself be able to do well in it if I put in enough hours?
Yes it is.

What is it that interests you about CS? It’s likely there’s slightly different degrees that might suit you better if you struggle with maths.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Yes it is.

What is it that interests you about CS? It’s likely there’s slightly different degrees that might suit you better if you struggle with maths.

I don’t really know tbh, I’ve always been into it aside from the math but that’s because my math is bad (I still like math a lot). I think I like it because of the math involved/coding
Original post by Yuvdagoat
Hi, I’m planning on studying foundation year comp sci at uni and everyone says that it’s very math based, is this true? Would a person who’s weak in math like myself be able to do well in it if I put in enough hours?

When people say computer science involves maths, they really mean that it requires logic skills and a strong ability to recognise patterns. good computer scientists are generally good at solving algebraic puzzles because they have strong logic skills that make it easier to remember and apply techniques they've been taught. if you're worried, it might be worth finding a buddy or a tutor to make you feel more confident with your abilities, otherwise I wouldn't stress too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending