The Student Room Group

Vet Med Application + Part Time Job

Hi, I’m currently working as a part time sales assistant along with my school work. An opportunity has come up to work as a receptionist in a veterinary clinic. Should I take it? Would this benefit my application at all? Would this count towards my work experience requirement? I’d feel horrible leaving my retail job so close to Christmas, but I don’t know if I can let an opportunity like this pass. Thank you.
This might sound like a silly question, I’m honestly just looking for some reassurance.
I’d go for it! Retail has a high turnover rate anyway. I think I have looked into whether that would count as work experience when I applied to some vet receptionist jobs on my gap year and unfortunately I think the outcome was it wouldn’t as it is reception not following the vet team, but you can always double check by emailing the unis as it won’t hurt. Plus if you’re working there I’m sure they’d be able to sort you out some hours of actual shadowing vets that you could use. I reckon it would still benefit your application + general knowledge when becoming a vet student as you get to know the types of clients, situations that come in, the vet team structure etc and there is a high degree of communication skills needed. You’ll still be able to talk about it in detail in your PS, forms and interviews even if it doesn’t count for actual work experience hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending