The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham vs Cardiff University for MSc Psychology (conversion)

I have received offers from Cardiff, Nottingham, Exeter and Liverpool. Out of all, I've boiled it down to either Cardiff or Nottingham.
Nottingham ranks better overall, but Cardiff ranks slightly higher (not significantly) in psychology. I'm an international student, from a non-psychology background, hoping to make a switch to psychology. Cardiff has a 12-week internship program, so that was slightly higher on the list. But I'm seeing mixed reviews everywhere about the university. I'm really confused as to which University is better for this course and the opportunities after. I need some insights on the course, instructors, placements, campus, how helpful the university is-especially to an international student, their facilities, etc. Please help me take a decision, I'm pretty confused right now.
Reply 1
I have received offers from Cardiff, Nottingham, Exeter and Liverpool. Out of all, I've boiled it down to either Cardiff or Nottingham.
Nottingham ranks better overall, but Cardiff ranks slightly higher (not significantly) in psychology. I'm an international student, from a non-psychology background, hoping to make a switch to psychology. Cardiff has a 12-week internship program, so that was slightly higher on the list. But I'm seeing mixed reviews everywhere about the university. I'm really confused as to which University is better for this course and the opportunities after. I need some insights on the course, instructors, placements, campus, how helpful the university is-especially to an international student, their facilities, etc. Please help me take a decision, I'm pretty confused right now.
Reply 2

ReportReply
Original post by neonthe
ReportReply
nottingham, cardiff has a pretty bad general rep
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
nottingham, cardiff has a pretty bad general rep
Is there a reason for that?
Original post by neonthe
Is there a reason for that?
its just low ranked and you can get into cardiff with pretty poor grades
Reply 6
Original post by gracious-primary
its just low ranked and you can get into cardiff with pretty poor grades
Okay I get that what you've mentioned is pretty indicative of their poor quality. But could you back it up with more concrete reasons? Maybe something about their academics, faculty, or placements? Or if you have any points that favour Nottingham, that'd be great. Thanks a lot!
Original post by neonthe
Okay I get that what you've mentioned is pretty indicative of their poor quality. But could you back it up with more concrete reasons? Maybe something about their academics, faculty, or placements? Or if you have any points that favour Nottingham, that'd be great. Thanks a lot!
Nottingham is generally well regarded for top careers in law, finance, consulting wheras cardiff is not. The average grades for a student at nottingham will be higher than that at cardiff. In regards to your subject I do not know much but nottingham is generally regarded as a significantly better university than cardiff. Cardiff is often described as only being a RG uni as wales needed one. But again for your subject cardiff may be better, I am talking on general perception
Reply 8
Original post by gracious-primary
Nottingham is generally well regarded for top careers in law, finance, consulting wheras cardiff is not. The average grades for a student at nottingham will be higher than that at cardiff. In regards to your subject I do not know much but nottingham is generally regarded as a significantly better university than cardiff. Cardiff is often described as only being a RG uni as wales needed one. But again for your subject cardiff may be better, I am talking on general perception
Okay that's helpful. Thank you!
Cardiff and Nottingham are both well respected universities, and I don't know where the poster above got the information about Cardiff having a poor rep.

Even though it is for the BSc course, have a look at the stats for both unis for psychology:

Cardiff: https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007814/UFBSPSYB/Full-time/

Nottingham https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007154/C800/Full-time/

The course is the most important thing you should consider - which interests you the most and will you have any placement opportunities. It is you and your experience that an employer will look at, not the uni you went to. :smile:

@CardiffUni Rep 2 do you have any advice?

There isn't a Uni of Nottingham rep on TSR.
Please note that all three threads have been merged - please don't make multiple threads on the same subject. :smile:
Original post by neonthe
The poster is giving their personal opinion.

Cardiff is a great place to study. Nottingham has a 'dodgy' reputation as a place to live.

I know students who went to Cardiff and then got places at Oxford for a DPhil -
Reply 12
Original post by normaw
Cardiff and Nottingham are both well respected universities, and I don't know where the poster above got the information about Cardiff having a poor rep.
Even though it is for the BSc course, have a look at the stats for both unis for psychology:
The course is the most important thing you should consider - which interests you the most and will you have any placement opportunities. It is you and your experience that an employer will look at, not the uni you went to. :smile:
Oh I think you may have sent me the wrong links. I'm looking for an MSc (postgraduate course). But I think I can search for that on the same website you've shared. I really appreciate the elaborate response and helpful insights!
Original post by neonthe
Oh I think you may have sent me the wrong links. I'm looking for an MSc (postgraduate course). But I think I can search for that on the same website you've shared. I really appreciate the elaborate response and helpful insights!
Never trust an anon poster in choice of university :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
The poster is giving their personal opinion.
Cardiff is a great place to study. Nottingham has a 'dodgy' reputation as a place to live.
I know students who went to Cardiff and then got places at Oxford for a DPhil -
What do you mean by a dodgy reputation?

In what ways do you think cardiff stands out academically? Or other factors that would help me build my career in the field? Any insights on placements etc would also be helpful. Thank you!
Reply 15
Original post by normaw
Unable to find the postgraduate course on this website😅
Original post by neonthe
What do you mean by a dodgy reputation?
In what ways do you think cardiff stands out academically? Or other factors that would help me build my career in the field? Any insights on placements etc would also be helpful. Thank you!
Nottingham crime figures are high - not a place I'd want to live.
Original post by neonthe
Unable to find the postgraduate course on this website😅

I did say in my post that the figures were for the BSc courses. Despite that, it gives some indication of what students think of the department staff and quality of teaching. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest