The Student Room Group

simple maths question regarding profit - I sound so stupid

Im gonna sound really dumb but this is really confusing me

I buy 4 items for £1.20 each

I sell them 4 for £10

I get paid £3.48 for delivery

The listing fees costs about 35p

Delivery cost for me to deliver is £2.51

How much profit am I making? I got around £5 But if I bought them initially for £4.80 and I’m only making £5 profit does that mean I’m only getting 20p in profit all together?

This is confusing me because initially I invested £4.80 and if I'm just coming out with £5 does that mean I'm literally making 20p? if that is not the profit and I am wrong what would you call that difference (between the initial investment and end profit so the 20p? )
Reply 1
Original post by jumbojim56877
Im gonna sound really dumb but this is really confusing me

I buy 4 items for £1.20 each

I sell them 4 for £10

I get paid £3.48 for delivery

The listing fees costs about 35p

Delivery cost for me to deliver is £2.51

How much profit am I making? I got around £5 But if I bought them initially for £4.80 and I’m only making £5 profit does that mean I’m only getting 20p in profit all together?

This is confusing me because initially I invested £4.80 and if I'm just coming out with £5 does that mean I'm literally making 20p? if that is not the profit and I am wrong what would you call that difference (between the initial investment and end profit so the 20p? )

Calculate your total costs (£4.80 + £2.51 + 35p), then calculate your total earnings (£10.00 + £3.48). Profit is the earning minus cost i.e what you are left with, so just take away one from the other.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending