The Student Room Group

Graduate Role Application Anxiety

I wondered if anyone could maybe help me out.

I've been really struggling since University (I graduated in July with a 2.1 BSc Comp Sci). (21M)

I'm currently going through the process of applying to various schemes such as Bupa, BT, Aviva, Tesco to name a few. I'm incredibly worried about what will happen if I don't get any of them. I am awaiting the results of video interviews for most of them, which will then tell me if I will be put forward for the assessment centre. The anxiety of this is absolutely killing me and I feel like I have let my parents down for not having a job.

Am I totally doomed? I feel a lot of pressure, even though I have very supportive parents and friends.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I also realise this is almost certainly my own fault.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I wondered if anyone could maybe help me out.

I've been really struggling since University (I graduated in July with a 2.1 BSc Comp Sci). (21M)

I'm currently going through the process of applying to various schemes such as Bupa, BT, Aviva, Tesco to name a few. I'm incredibly worried about what will happen if I don't get any of them. I am awaiting the results of video interviews for most of them, which will then tell me if I will be put forward for the assessment centre. The anxiety of this is absolutely killing me and I feel like I have let my parents down for not having a job.

Am I totally doomed? I feel a lot of pressure, even though I have very supportive parents and friends.

Any help would be massively appreciated. I also realise this is almost certainly my own fault.

Hey there! Just wanted to give you a heads up that I've been in the same boat as you (though I graduated back in 2022 lol). Totally normal to feel a bit overwhelmed during the whole job application process.

[start]I get it, waiting for responses can be a real rollercoaster, and there might be days when it feels a bit hopeless. But trust me, you're not doomed. Graduating with a 2.1 is an achievement, and Comp Sci grads seems pretty in demand right now.[/start]

[start]It's super easy to put the blame on ourselves since we're the captains of our own ships, but the truth is, you're doing all you can. Keep giving it your best shot, focus on self-improvement, and let go of things beyond your control.[/start]

[start]I know the whole video interview thing can mess with your head, but at the end of the day, you've got to release that need for control and the desire to know the outcome. Even if you've made mistakes in the past, all you can do is keep moving forward and bettering yourself.[/start]

[start]Personally, when I'm feeling a bit low, I turn to journaling. It's a great way to reflect on how to do better and maybe trying out a new hobby could be a good distraction![/start]

Best of luck for your applications, hope this helps aha. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or just want to chat😊
Going through the same process now too, it is a mental game more than anything. But everyone feels the same and it's not your "fault"! I try and forget about my application as soon as I have completed the most recent task, just note it down in your application tracker and move on to the next, if you get through to the next stage, great! If not, you have started another one. You will land a position in time, you just have to carry on and trust the process.

Quick Reply

Latest