The Student Room Group

Is doing a presentation on the Dystopia of the One Piece anime weird?

Hi guys. I am a third year Religions, Philosophy and Ethics student, and I have to do a presentation soon, giving a Philosophical analysis of any cultural work of my choosing, whether its media, books, music, tv show, movie etc, that relates to the concept of either 'Utopia' or 'Dystopia'. I was originally going to do it on the movie Wall-E, but then I was brainstorming ideas and came up with the idea of doing it one the One Piece anime, as it is something I am very much so into. The anime is rather Dystopic too, so I'd have a lot to talk about, as well as being passionate about it and feeling comfortable to talk about it. I only slightly am worried that people will think I'm weird for it. My class is quite small, only about 8 of us in total, and we are all very friendly with each other, but none of us really hang out after class, and therefore there is room for judgement. And the judgement is there because of a sort of 'taboo' that anime has, and typically one that its fans give off, which I don't believe I do. Should I try and find something else to do it on? Or should I just go through with it. I know there's a whole idea of 'who cares what they think? If you want to do it then do it!', but I just can't help but worry a bit. Thank you!!
Reply 1
Sounds alright - I think most people basically know what an anime is but you might have to explain a bit more than you would with a western novel.
Original post by Aden2407
Hi guys. I am a third year Religions, Philosophy and Ethics student, and I have to do a presentation soon, giving a Philosophical analysis of any cultural work of my choosing, whether its media, books, music, tv show, movie etc, that relates to the concept of either 'Utopia' or 'Dystopia'. I was originally going to do it on the movie Wall-E, but then I was brainstorming ideas and came up with the idea of doing it one the One Piece anime, as it is something I am very much so into. The anime is rather Dystopic too, so I'd have a lot to talk about, as well as being passionate about it and feeling comfortable to talk about it. I only slightly am worried that people will think I'm weird for it. My class is quite small, only about 8 of us in total, and we are all very friendly with each other, but none of us really hang out after class, and therefore there is room for judgement. And the judgement is there because of a sort of 'taboo' that anime has, and typically one that its fans give off, which I don't believe I do. Should I try and find something else to do it on? Or should I just go through with it. I know there's a whole idea of 'who cares what they think? If you want to do it then do it!', but I just can't help but worry a bit. Thank you!!

Yare yare... im sorry kodomono but doing such a mainstream work of trash in your presentation is the most baka thing ive heard this week!! like boi ._. if you were a true intullectual like mwahself then you would do it on this little show called oregairu (known in english as my little sister cannot be this cute). That is true sigma dattebeyo anime and it makes me fel special down there as i t normally doesnt work very well/ datteybeyo! gyatttttttttt
Reply 3
yeah, it sounds like a good idea! there are some people who have been dissecting it’s literary significance ( such as the video: ‘One Piece: The Modern Odyssey (a Literary Analysis)’ by AxelBeats), so doing a research paper on it doesn’t seem too far fetched, or weird
Original post by Aden2407

If you’re passionate about it then do it. If people make judgements, it’s a reflection of them and not you or your topic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending