The Student Room Group

S4 gyg journal!

Hi!
I’ve been seeing these GYG blogs and wanted to try it out. I’m hoping that this will somehow motivate me to do more studying!

To start this off, thought I might tell some stuff about me 😊

This year I am doing my National 5’s and these are the subjects I take:
Spanish, Biology, English, History, Art, Geography, Maths
I’m very happy with my predicted grades which are 6As + 1C, and I’m hoping that I will be able to get straight As in my final exams in May!
I am quite surprised though as some of my prelims didn’t go as well lol

Outside of school - I enjoy playing piano, drawing, baking and exercising
As for uni there are a few degrees I am thinking about, but I don’t know really!

I’d love a job related to animals in general, whether that be care or studying them. So I’m particularly interested in zoology, animal behaviour or something vet related. I am worried about different aspects about these though, eg. Zoology’s lab aspect or vet emotional/surgical aspects. Which is why I am considering other degrees like Spanish, Journalism, Psychology or even Archaeology.
The last choice seems odd to me, as I’ve only discovered it as an option because all my subjects match perfectly to it, but it might be interesting.🤔

My dream uni is University of Edinburgh, and I’m going to try my hardest to get into it. I’ll be looking for volunteering opportunities for my application next year : )

That’s all for my first post I think! Looking forward to meeting new people on here😄
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by wkstudy
Hi!
I’ve been seeing these GYG bogs and wanted to try it out. I’m hoping that this will somehow motivate me to do more studying!

I’m very happy with my predicted grades which are 6As + 1C, and I’m hoping that I will be able to get straight As in my final exams in May!

As for uni there are a few degrees I am thinking about, but I don’t know really!

I’d love a job related to animals in general, whether that be care or studying them. So I’m particularly interested in zoology, animal behaviour or something vet related. I am worried about different aspects about these though, eg. Zoology’s lab aspect or vet emotional/surgical aspects. Which is why I am considering other degrees like Spanish, Journalism, Psychology or even Archaeology.
The last choice seems odd to me, as I’ve only discovered it as an option because all my subjects match perfectly to it, but it might be interesting.🤔

My dream uni is University of Edinburgh, and I’m going to try my hardest to get into it. I’ll be looking for volunteering opportunities for my application next year : )

That’s all for my first post I think! Looking forward to meeting new people on here😄

Nice to meet you, and welcome to GYG! I'm guessing that S4 is the equivalent to year 12? You have a very broad but interesting combo of subjects, which pretty much open you for a lot of degrees. You still have a year to narrow it down, but since you have a love for animals maybe you should try volunteering at an animal shelter to start building your PS.
Reply 2
Original post by study23!
Nice to meet you, and welcome to GYG! I'm guessing that S4 is the equivalent to year 12? You have a very broad but interesting combo of subjects, which pretty much open you for a lot of degrees. You still have a year to narrow it down, but since you have a love for animals maybe you should try volunteering at an animal shelter to start building your PS.

Nice to meet you too! I’d imagine that S4 is the equivalent to yr12 but I’m not completely sure - in general s4 has 15-16yr old pupils so probably! I might look for opportunities like volunteering at an animal shelter soon to see if I would enjoy it :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by wkstudy
Nice to meet you too! I’d imagine that S4 is the equivalent to yr12 but I’m not completely sure - in general s4 has 15-16yr old pupils so probably! I might look for opportunities like volunteering at an animal shelter soon to see if I would enjoy it :smile:

Ah that's probably year 11 equivalent. Yeah try volunteering now before you get too busy with exams
Reply 4
Tuesday, 23rd Jan 2024
Today I’ve had my parents evening meetings with my teachers which went alright. I have the second half of my parents evening meetings in a few days, as 2 of my teachers were not available. My maths teacher wasn’t very pleased with my prelim grade, but the rest of my teachers were quite happy. I also spoke to the headteacher as two of my subjects that I want to take for Higher clash with each other☹️ They happen to be in the same column, and they are my favourite subjects. I’ll update soon on the situation, but my options are
1) Do either subject as consortia
2) Pick either 1 for higher in S5 and pick up the other subject for Higher in S6
I am leaning more towards the 2nd option as I don’t really want to travel to another school. My only problem is that there is a column where I don’t really want any of the subjects and I would have to do a Nat 5.
As for now, I’m going to do a maths past paper. 👍
Reply 5
Sunday 28th Jan 2024
Yesterday I had a bit of a break from studying, as I went over to my friend's house for her birthday. And today I’ve been trying to memorise an entire history essay that I’ll be writing up on Wednesday 🥲 At this time of year we’re going through all the coursework/assignments and I’m really looking forward to February break at this point haha
Reply 6
Wednesday 31st Jan 2024🌼
Very busy week, but I managed to be quite productive so far!
I’ve had my biology assignment yesterday, and my history write up today which I think I did well in. I don’t know if it was good enough or not, as teachers are not allowed to give much feedback on drafts.. but hopefully the understanding standards website helped me get a good grade. Now I’ll just have to wait till august for my results 😂 I’ve got 2 assignments left, along with a bunch of coursework that I need to catch up on this weekend.

Good night 💤
Reply 7
Original post by wkstudy
Hi!
I’ve been seeing these GYG blogs and wanted to try it out. I’m hoping that this will somehow motivate me to do more studying!

so after some stalking on your account I seem to have found your GYG. Love to follow along and good luck on your journey
Reply 8
Original post by Tatakae L
so after some stalking on your account I seem to have found your GYG. Love to follow along and good luck on your journey

love that 😂 Do you have a gyg too? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by wkstudy
love that 😂 Do you have a gyg too? :smile:

yh i do . Tatakae L's GYG Journey - The Student Room.
im planning on making a post on all the gyg that I follow cause i love yall and u all need to be seeennnn
Reply 10
Original post by Tatakae L
yh i do . Tatakae L's GYG Journey - The Student Room.
im planning on making a post on all the gyg that I follow cause i love yall and u all need to be seeennnn

Thanks! I’ll give it a follow🩵
Reply 11
Friday 9th Feb 2024
Finally able to update this :smile: It’s been a weird week - but at least it’s February break! I’ve been mostly completing my art folio but I also did my Spanish hw and a multiple choice biology past paper as well as binge-watching never have I ever :biggrin:
Thought I might make a to-do list for this week, posting it online should hold me accountable - hopefully :

Spoiler

Don’t know if anyone else is having Feb break this week - but enjoy it when it comes! 😊
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 12
Thursday 15th Feb
I can’t believe Feb break is almost over - where did all the days go??😭 I haven’t been productive at all this week :frown: My to-do list hasn’t gotten shorter if not longer 😬 So far I’ve only completed part of my bio hw and some Spanish revison so I need to start other stuff ASAP
Hope everyone had a nice valentines ❤️❤️
Original post by wkstudy
Thursday 15th Feb
I can’t believe Feb break is almost over - where did all the days go??😭 I haven’t been productive at all this week :frown: My to-do list hasn’t gotten shorter if not longer 😬 So far I’ve only completed part of my bio hw and some Spanish revison so I need to start other stuff ASAP
Hope everyone had a nice valentines ❤️❤️

i havent done anything eitherrr. Hopefully however I am planning to make today as productive as possible.
Reply 14
Sunday 19th Feb 2024
Feb break is officially over from tomorrow :frown: and I’m embarrassed to say that I haven’t really done much of my tasks. I felt like I needed this week to recharge (and now I have more work to catch up on unfortunately 🫣)
Here is an overview of what I’ve done :

Spoiler

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a lot more done next week - with a fresh mind !
I’m going to try and update each day this week (starting Monday) to say what I’ve done :smile:
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by wkstudy
Sunday 19th Feb 2024
Feb break is officially over from tomorrow :frown: and I’m embarrassed to say that I haven’t really done much of my tasks. I felt like I needed this week to recharge (and now I have more work to catch up on unfortunately 🫣)
Here is an overview of what I’ve done :

Spoiler

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a lot more done next week - with a fresh mind !
I’m going to try and update each day this week (starting Monday) to say what I’ve done :smile:

Don't be embarrassed! That down time is so important for avoiding burnout. Sounds like you listened to what your body and mind needed and took a sensible break. Hope you're feeling well-rested!
Reply 16
Original post by Pwca
Don't be embarrassed! That down time is so important for avoiding burnout. Sounds like you listened to what your body and mind needed and took a sensible break. Hope you're feeling well-rested!

Thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 17
Monday 19th Feb 2024
First day back in school :biggrin:
Apart from boring classes, I’ve actually quite enjoyed being back as I got to see my friends! After school, I’ve went to art study support (to finish my final piece) and I’ve spent roughly 40mins practicing piano. I’ve not done as much as I like - so I’m going to try and revise something now for a bit :smile:🤍
Reply 18
Wednesday 21st Feb 2024🌊✨
Hi all :smile: Sorry I didn’t update yesterday - I totally forgot! Yesterday I went to art study support (the folio’s due in 1st of March :frown: ahh), I’ve also joined the STEM vs Humanities study sesh on tsr to prepare for my Spanish talk coming up soon.
Today I’ve had loads more time to do stuff as I’ve had PSE and guidance period where I could study. So I’ve finished writing up my second convo in Spanish 🇪🇸 ! Currently taking a little break from piano and I have roughly half an hour to go :biggrin:
Later, I will continue with my final art piece as it needs to be done asap - but it’s so time consuming!
I’ve also been looking for ways to improve my gyg blog as it’s a little plain at the moment😅 So if anyone knows any fun codes or websites to get different colours/fonts etc. let me know !
Hope everyone has a good day ☺️🫶
Reply 19
Friday 23rd Feb 2024
So it looks like I failed upon updating this everyday😂 Maybe that’s little bit of an unrealistic goal but I will keep it as it forces me to be productive. I have roughly finished my final coloured pencil piece - finally!! But now I have to work on my painting composition which is due on Monday. I started a little bit but I hate it so much. My strengths definitely lie in coloured pencils and alcohol based pens but the second option isn’t even allowed I’m pretty sure. So I’m doing acrylic paint and the more I do it - it seems like it keeps getting worse :frown: Usually I would just scrap it and do something else, but I have to make it look good somehow as it contributes to my final grade.
So my plan for tomorrow is to wake up early and just do it for the whole day lol. I’m going to try and trust the process - because maybe it’ll be fine. If I finish (highly doubt it but if I will) I’ll do some Spanish revision for my talk :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending