The Student Room Group

Does anyone else have selective mutism?

I’m a 17 year old girl with SM. For anyone who doesn’t know, this is described as a type of complex anxiety disorder caused by a phobia of speaking to certain people or in certain situations (I can only talk comfortably to my family). It’s not very well understood or researched, but from my perspective I would describe it as being like an automatic irrational reflex reaction that my brain has developed in response to having to speak, that causes me to freeze and my mind goes blank and I’m physically unable to say anything. It’s not trauma induced or learnt or anything, I think it’s genetic/linked to a developmental issue. I’ve had it my whole life but it got worse when I went to secondary school. I don’t actually believe I should be frightened of speaking and if anything I find not speaking embarrassing, but my brain just goes into autopilot, I have no control over it and it’s just an automatic reaction that happens. I hate it so much and it’s the most humiliating and debilitating thing ever, I can’t even say hello to people as I walk past them sometimes and I don’t even know why. I’m so isolated and I have no friends, and I feel childish and like I’m behind everyone else of my age as I can’t do anything for myself and I have no social experience. It’s just the most embarrassing thing ever and it’s making me really depressed and I’m starting to not want to go out in public in fear of humiliating myself because I can’t talk. Can’t stand up for myself, can’t ask for things, can’t hold a conversation, can’t do anything. I’m so scared it’s never going to go away.

Does anyone else of a similar age on here have SM? Has anyone been able to overcome it? I’d really love to talk to someone else that has it as I’ve never met anyone that does and no one else understands it.
Also if anyone has any questions about SM but doesn’t have it themselves then I’m more than happy to answer, as although I still have it I do understand it really well, and I’d really like to spread awareness about it.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by user01906002
I’m a 17 year old girl with SM. For anyone who doesn’t know, this is described as a type of complex anxiety disorder caused by a phobia of speaking to certain people or in certain situations (I can only talk comfortably to my family). It’s not very well understood or researched, but from my perspective I would describe it as being like an automatic irrational reflex reaction that my brain has developed in response to having to speak, that causes me to freeze and my mind goes blank and I’m physically unable to say anything. It’s not trauma induced or learnt or anything, I think it’s genetic/linked to a developmental issue. I’ve had it my whole life but it got worse when I went to secondary school. I don’t actually believe I should be frightened of speaking and if anything I find not speaking embarrassing, but my brain just goes into autopilot, I have no control over it and it’s just an automatic reaction that happens. I hate it so much and it’s the most humiliating and debilitating thing ever, I can’t even say hello to people as I walk past them sometimes and I don’t even know why. I’m so isolated and I have no friends, and I feel childish and like I’m behind everyone else of my age as I can’t do anything for myself and I have no social experience. It’s just the most embarrassing thing ever and it’s making me really depressed and I’m starting to not want to go out in public in fear of humiliating myself because I can’t talk. Can’t stand up for myself, can’t ask for things, can’t hold a conversation, can’t do anything. I’m so scared it’s never going to go away.

Does anyone else of a similar age on here have SM? Has anyone been able to overcome it? I’d really love to talk to someone else that has it as I’ve never met anyone that does and no one else understands it.
Also if anyone has any questions about SM but doesn’t have it themselves then I’m more than happy to answer, as although I still have it I do understand it really well, and I’d really like to spread awareness about it.
Thanks

I'm 21 so i'm not really that similar in age but I had SM when I was a kid and I was able to overcome it throughout the years. I couldn't talk in school at all my whole life until one day in 6th grade, my teacher FORCED me to say something otherwise she was gonna call security on me. So not exactly a good "overcoming" story as I still struggled with it afterwards as forcing someone to speak doesn't really solve the underlying issue but I overcame it on my own furthet down my life.

First off, are you in any kind of therapy? It doesn't seem like you have any help to guide you through your problems because 17 is far too long to still be struggling with this if you had SM your whole life. Not saying it's your fault of course, I feel bad for you. It's hard to overcome this alone. I'm mad at your parents or school that allowed such a problem to persist for so long just like with me. Don't be scared though, you can totally overcome this. I overcame it myself, was in similar situation like you so I know the same can happen for you. I'll try to be as helpful as I can. 😁
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest