The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

wiwarin_mir
After having this discussion with someone on MSN I thought it might be an idea to see what the rest of you think.

Guns are designed to kill, unlike knifes for instance, they have no primary use ahead of killing, whether animal or Human. What do you think the primary use of guns?

Correction: Guns are designed to fire bullets at a high velocity. They are not machines made to kill. The thing that the bullet is being fired toward is based on the sole discretion of the human using it--thus selecting the purpose of the gun.
Reply 2
psychic_satori
Correction: Guns are designed to fire bullets at a high velocity. They are not machines made to kill. The thing that the bullet is being fired toward is based on the sole discretion of the human using it--thus selecting the purpose of the gun.

Tell me though, what possible use is this high velocity bullet, what practical use would it have?
wiwarin_mir
Tell me though, what possible use is this high velocity bullet, what practical use would it have?

To put a hole in and damage an object.
Reply 4
psychic_satori
To put a hole in and damage an object.

Since when is that practical in any way?
wiwarin_mir

Since when is recreation required to be practical?
Reply 6
psychic_satori
Since when is recreation required to be practical?

Well, sport as a recreation usually gives physical benefits, therefore is practical, making holes and damaging things with a high velocity bullet is not.
wiwarin_mir
Well, sport as a recreation usually gives physical benefits, therefore is practical, making holes and damaging things with a high velocity bullet is not.

The improvement of hand-eye coordination, as well as the improvement of fluid movement, would be two excellent physical benefits.
Reply 8
psychic_satori
The improvement of hand-eye coordination, as well as the improvement of fluid movement, would be two excellent physical benefits.

So then why are guns not limited explicitly to recreation?
wiwarin_mir
So then why are guns not limited explicitly to recreation?

Because they can be used for other purposes, which some evildoers prefer. It's the same as why knives aren't used strictly as utensils for cutting: because some people use them for alternative purposes...
Reply 10
psychic_satori
Because they can be used for other purposes, which some evildoers prefer. It's the same as why knives aren't used strictly as utensils for cutting: because some people use them for alternative purposes...

But knifes are used in many practical jobs where they are required for various aspects of work.
wiwarin_mir

They can be used to hurt (physically) or scare people, rather than solely to kill eg by the police.
Reply 12
endeavour
They can be used to hurt (physically) or scare people, rather than solely to kill eg by the police.

That is still using them offensively against other humans or animals.
wiwarin_mir
But knifes are used in many practical jobs where they are required for various aspects of work.

Then i'll use the example of a bow and arrow. Practically, it has about the same use as a gun, because it can be used recreationally, or it can be used for harm. Because some people use the item for alternative purposes, should no one be able to do archery?
wiwarin_mir
That is still using them offensively against other humans or animals.

In self defence then.
Reply 15
psychic_satori
Then i'll use the example of a bow and arrow. Practically, it has about the same use as a gun, because it can be used recreationally, or it can be used for harm. Because some people use the item for alternative purposes, should no one be able to do archery?

How many cases have you ever heard of a bow and arrows being used to kill someone, in the last 10 years?
psychic_satori

Unlikely i know, but i agree.
HOWEVER
I don't think that we should allow gun ownership just so someone can gain better hand eye co-ordination.
I also make a big distinction between rifles, and handguns.
Rifles are much less likely to be used than a handgun as an offensive weapon.
wiwarin_mir
How many cases have you ever heard of a bow and arrows being used to kill someone, in the last 10 years?

Um well there were two guys early this year killed by a crossbows. (seperate incidents)
wiwarin_mir

What does that have to do with the fact that the bow and arrow can be used to kill? What is the number of deaths that you would consider something to be an acceptable recreational device? Do you judge based upon the total number or based upon how many of the devices exist in circulation?
psychic_satori
What does that have to do with the fact that the bow and arrow can be used to kill? What is the number of deaths that you would consider something to be an acceptable recreational device? Do you judge based upon the total number or based upon how many of the devices exist in circulation?

While true, wiwarin's point was that nowadays a bow and arrow's primary use is for leisure

Latest

Trending

Trending