The Student Room Group

Teaching assistant observation

Hi
I have a primary school TA interview next week and I have been asked to carry out a 20mins reading session with a group of year 4 students, I am a bit confused as I am not sure what happens in a year 4 reading session.
Do they have a class book which I should plan my sessio from of do I provide the children with a reading comprehension?
Help!
Original post by Ameena Sardar
Hi
I have a primary school TA interview next week and I have been asked to carry out a 20mins reading session with a group of year 4 students, I am a bit confused as I am not sure what happens in a year 4 reading session.
Do they have a class book which I should plan my sessio from of do I provide the children with a reading comprehension?
Help!

Hi @Ameena Sardar

Congratulations on your interview, that is great news!

I think a mix of both would be your best bet. So I would read an extract from whatever book you have chosen (age appropriate) and then move onto comprehension questions to see what they understood.

If you are not sure what sort of books are appropriate you can usually find lots of information online.

I would also recommend joining some teaching groups on Facebook. There are so many and it is a great space for teachers and TAs to share resources and answer any questions you may have.

Good luck with your interview! Just be confident and make it clear from the very beginning that if they wish to talk they will need to raise their hand!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Congratulations! It may be worth looking at the national curriculum for English for year 4 and that will give you an idea of what types of things they should be taught. Make sure you have read through the text you are reading with them as well. It is worth also googling Neil Griffiths - he was a headteacher but now spends his time training teachers on how to read and excite children with books.

Aly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending