The Student Room Group

what do i do with my life

I'm a year 11 student and i wont lie i'm really going through it in school.

I kind of hit an epiphany today after having my Spanish speaking mock, in which I did well for some parts but others went terribly for many reasons and I wanted to choose this subject as an a-level, and my teacher knows and made me reconsider after this.

I realised that every a-level I want to do I probably won't succeed at/ do exceptionally well, spanish for example. I'm pretty good at every other aspect other than speaking.

I am pretty good at art as well, but problem is i take WAY to long to finish my work, as it needs to be perfect. My work itself is grade 7-8 worthy according to my teacher, but she gave me a 4 ( a borderline 3) on the system because I haven't done enough pages to show development and I also got about 4% of my mock final piece done in 10 hours. Art was my reserve a-level.

I used to love history but didn't take the GCSE so I decided i want to do the a level bc I do still like history but it is apparently one of the hardest a-levels and I need to do well in English and media gcse since i didn't do history gcse.

I also wanted to do psychology a level but i know that is hard as well and I dont even know if i like the subject, its just the only other option i have .

I am terrible at all of the core subjects no matter how hard I try so all of those are immediately out of the question. I don't excel in them, and I have to bend over backwards and sacrifice everything to get a 9 if I wanted to as it doesn't come naturally. Even then I don't get a 9. Like even if i do revise i forget everything once in the exam.

I really don't know what to do, I don't think I'll do well in any a-level.
Reply 1
I really empathise with you because i remember being in your position when I was in year 11 and things seemed genuinely hopeless. If you want to do A-Levels, my suggestion would be to persist and keep focus 🙂 I say this because it's what I did to eventually get to a-levels. Which brings to my next point, I initially had to retake some GCSE's to do my a-levels so that I can meet the threshold since I barely just passed most of my GCSE's. So, even in the worst case scenario, you have two options - 1. is to retake a year doing GCSE's to hopefully get your grades up and the second is if all fails, not doing a-levels is not the end of the world. Plenty of people I know of are doing fine without A-levels and employers aren't really too bothered by your a-levels and are typically looking for experience. Though virtually all look for C's in English and Maths at the very least, so if you have those then you're totally fine. I understand at this point, it feels like the whole world, but I assure it is not the end of the world if you don't make it! 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm a year 11 student and i wont lie i'm really going through it in school.

I kind of hit an epiphany today after having my Spanish speaking mock, in which I did well for some parts but others went terribly for many reasons and I wanted to choose this subject as an a-level, and my teacher knows and made me reconsider after this.

I realised that every a-level I want to do I probably won't succeed at/ do exceptionally well, spanish for example. I'm pretty good at every other aspect other than speaking.

I am pretty good at art as well, but problem is i take WAY to long to finish my work, as it needs to be perfect. My work itself is grade 7-8 worthy according to my teacher, but she gave me a 4 ( a borderline 3) on the system because I haven't done enough pages to show development and I also got about 4% of my mock final piece done in 10 hours. Art was my reserve a-level.

I used to love history but didn't take the GCSE so I decided i want to do the a level bc I do still like history but it is apparently one of the hardest a-levels and I need to do well in English and media gcse since i didn't do history gcse.

I also wanted to do psychology a level but i know that is hard as well and I dont even know if i like the subject, its just the only other option i have .

I am terrible at all of the core subjects no matter how hard I try so all of those are immediately out of the question. I don't excel in them, and I have to bend over backwards and sacrifice everything to get a 9 if I wanted to as it doesn't come naturally. Even then I don't get a 9. Like even if i do revise i forget everything once in the exam.

I really don't know what to do, I don't think I'll do well in any a-level.

Do maths, further maths, computer science and physics. This will make you feel good.
Reply 3
Original post by CAB18022
I really empathise with you because i remember being in your position when I was in year 11 and things seemed genuinely hopeless. If you want to do A-Levels, my suggestion would be to persist and keep focus 🙂 I say this because it's what I did to eventually get to a-levels. Which brings to my next point, I initially had to retake some GCSE's to do my a-levels so that I can meet the threshold since I barely just passed most of my GCSE's. So, even in the worst case scenario, you have two options - 1. is to retake a year doing GCSE's to hopefully get your grades up and the second is if all fails, not doing a-levels is not the end of the world. Plenty of people I know of are doing fine without A-levels and employers aren't really too bothered by your a-levels and are typically looking for experience. Though virtually all look for C's in English and Maths at the very least, so if you have those then you're totally fine. I understand at this point, it feels like the whole world, but I assure it is not the end of the world if you don't make it! 🙂

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest