The Student Room Group

sheffield vs qmul vs surrey insurance uni for CS

i'm predicted A star AA for cs, maths and history and i'm not sure what to pick for my insurance.

it's either qmul, sheffield or surrey (i applied for CS for all 3)

qmul is AAA and i live in london so i won't be moving too far. i heard the teaching quality isn't the best though(?) but being in london i'll have really good industry links. expensive bc london....

sheffield is AAB and the furthest so that's the main reason i'm quite hesitant otherwise i would've chosen it as my insurance immediately.

surrey is ABB - i heard good things about the teaching and employability also not too far from home. however, i don't really like the location lol
Do any of them guarantee accommodation to insurance entrants?
What is your firm and how likely are you to get it?

I would lean towards Sheffield and Surrey because the grades are lower but they are good Unis, so they will both be a good backup if you drop a grade or two. Guildford has good rail links to London so you'll have the same London industry links but how do these three Uni's organise their work experience and year in industry?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by neney
i'm predicted A star AA for cs, maths and history and i'm not sure what to pick for my insurance.

it's either qmul, sheffield or surrey (i applied for CS for all 3)

qmul is AAA and i live in london so i won't be moving too far. i heard the teaching quality isn't the best though(?) but being in london i'll have really good industry links. expensive bc london....

sheffield is AAB and the furthest so that's the main reason i'm quite hesitant otherwise i would've chosen it as my insurance immediately.

surrey is ABB - i heard good things about the teaching and employability also not too far from home. however, i don't really like the location lol

Hi there!

I'm a recent graduate from the university of Sheffield and if location is one of your main concerns, I would say that its actually easier to travel from Sheffield to London then you may think! There's a direct train that takes you to St Pancras in 2-3 hours, I've taken it a few times and it makes going to London fairly straightforward. Obviously if being closer to home is a priority for you then that still may be too far, but I thought It's worth mentioning anyway as its definitely closer than I expected! :smile:

Annabel
(edited 11 months ago)
Hi there, @neney

I'm glad to hear you're considering Surrey!

Surrey is highly regarded for its research, teaching and placement qualities. The course is also ranked highly in different leaderboards.

In regards to the location, I have been living in Guildford for almost two years and have no complaints - it's the right balance between peaceful and vibrant. Guildford has everything I have needed as a student and more, and it has a very central train station with links to London within 30 min.

From the main campus, it's a 15-min walk to the train station and 20-min walk to the high street. Stag Hill is very centrally located, compared to other universities.

Please let me know if you have any other hesitancies in terms of location :smile:

Hope this helps!

Marko
2nd Year Student in BSc Accounting and Finance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending