The Student Room Group

year 13 nervous about predicted grades for LAW

hiyaaa :smile:

i have just started year 13 and we are having follow up mocks to determine our final predicted grades. i am interested in becoming a solicitor but i also love politics so i am applying to both law and politics combined courses and law and politics/international relations courses separately with the hope of later doing a conversion to law if i am unable to get a law offer.

at the moment i am looking at
- ucl (politics and international relations)
- lse (law)
- kcl (law)
- qmul (law and politics)
- uni of kent (law and politics)
my ideal uni at the moment is probably QMUL for law and politics, and as far as i am aware they are one of the only russell group unis that do this as a combined llb degree. however the requirements are A*AA

currently, i am sat at AAA grades in history politics and psychology but i am unsure if i will be able to push to an A* in at least one of these subjects as i find the mark schemes to be veryyyy picky. in politics, i have been on the border of an A* consistently so i think this COULD be achievable (?) but it all depends on how stingy my teacher is lmaoo

SO i guess i am asking a few things:

a) if my grades stay the same, how can i convince and provide evidence to my teachers that i can push for an A* (any personal experience would be GREAT)
b) is a law conversion worth it?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by 3vieb
hiyaaa :smile:

i have just started year 13 and we are having follow up mocks to determine our final predicted grades. i am interested in becoming a solicitor but i also love politics so i am applying to both law and politics combined courses and law and politics/international relations courses separately with the hope of later doing a conversion to law if i am unable to get a law offer.
at the moment i am looking at
- ucl
- lse
- kcl
- qmul
- uni of kent

my ideal uni at the moment is probably QMUL for law and politics, and as far as i am aware they are one of the only russell group unis that do this as a combined llb degree. however the requirements are A*AA

currently, i am sat at AAA grades in history politics and psychology with an A prediction in EPQ but i am unsure if i will be able to push to an A* in at least one of these subjects as i find the mark schemes to be veryyyy picky (and teachers are stingy in predicting A*s lmao). however, i am confident in my personal statement and supercurriculars which will hopefully boost my application

SO i guess i am asking a few things:

a) realistically, which of my subjects will be the easiest to get an A* prediction in
b) if my grades stay the same, how can i convince and provide evidence to my teachers that i can push for an A* (any personal experience would be GREAT)
c) is a law conversion worth it?

Your predicted grades are your predicted grades - there is a fine line between an A and a A*, and that may change throughout the year.
See https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Law%20and%20politics&destination=Undergraduate&distanceFromPostcode=&studyYear=2024&sort=MostRelevant

For all of the ‘Law and Politics’ course, this includes QMUL
Your apply to universities for the course, what you dont do is apply based on the reputation of the uni and do a course you not that interested in ( as you want to be a solicitor, but one/more of your options needs a law conversion, but there is plenty of ‘law and politics’ courses)
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Your predicted grades are your predicted grades - there is a fine line between an A and a A*, and that may change throughout the year.
See https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?searchTerm=Law%20and%20politics&destination=Undergraduate&distanceFromPostcode=&studyYear=2024&sort=MostRelevant

For all of the ‘Law and Politics’ course, this includes QMUL
Your apply to universities for the course, what you dont do is apply based on the reputation of the uni and do a course you not that interested in ( as you want to be a solicitor, but one/more of your options needs a law conversion, but there is plenty of ‘law and politics’ courses)

thank you! our predicted grades are able to go up following november mock exams so I am hoping that i can show that an A* in politics is possible, as the rule at my college is that grades will either stay the same as year 12 predictions or go up by 1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending