The Student Room Group

Becoming a primary teacher via Open University

Hi there!

I am currently studying a computing HNC and hating it lol. I have always wanted to be a teacher however only having 2 Highers at C and B did not allow me to go to a traditional uni. I recently found the open university primary education course and am wondering if I were to do that would I be able to become a teacher? Would that be sufficient to go on to the further training year required or would I also still need higher English etc alongside the degree?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi there! If the course comes with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) then you will be able to teach after graduating. However, if it doesn't, you may be eligible to study a one year Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) after you finish the Open University's course that would allow you to teach. If you're still not sure, I would recommend contacting the university, who will be able to advise you further.

Best of luck!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Original post by OldMateLiam1
Hi there!

I am currently studying a computing HNC and hating it lol. I have always wanted to be a teacher however only having 2 Highers at C and B did not allow me to go to a traditional uni. I recently found the open university primary education course and am wondering if I were to do that would I be able to become a teacher? Would that be sufficient to go on to the further training year required or would I also still need higher English etc alongside the degree?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hi @OldMateLiam1

It's a good idea to double check that you meet all the eligibility requirements for a teacher training course and these are GCSEs at grade 4 (or a C) in English, maths and science and a bachelor's degree. If your degree with the OU is a bachelor's degree, then that would meet that requirement.

If / when you do start your OU degree, it would be a good idea to sign up for an Explore Teaching Adviser and your adviser will support you in researching postgraduate teacher training courses and preparing for your application. Our support is free, impartial and bespoke. Here is the link: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-teaching-advisers

I hope this is helpful and good luck with everything 🙂

Richard
Explore Teaching Adviser

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending