The Student Room Group

Chemistry help pls!! (concentrations of mixtures)

Im stuck on this question and I'm not sure how to get the answer.

50cm^3 of 0.10 moldm^3 potassium chloride solution is added to 150cm^3 of a 0.15 moldm^3 hydrogen chloride solution. What is the concentration of KCl and HCl in the mixture?

The answer is KCl= 0.025 moldm^3 and HCl = 0.1125 moldm^3 but im not sure how to get there.
Reply 1
Original post by tommy434689
Im stuck on this question and I'm not sure how to get the answer.

50cm^3 of 0.10 moldm^3 potassium chloride solution is added to 150cm^3 of a 0.15 moldm^3 hydrogen chloride solution. What is the concentration of KCl and HCl in the mixture?

The answer is KCl= 0.025 moldm^3 and HCl = 0.1125 moldm^3 but im not sure how to get there.

Concetration is how much if something there is in a certain volume, i.e. moles per (÷) dm^3.

So to work out the concentration of KCl, for example, you'd need to work out how many moles of KCl there are, and what the total volume of the mixture is.
Since you know the volume and concentration of the "initial solution" of KCl, you can work out the moles :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
Concetration is how much if something there is in a certain volume, i.e. moles per (÷) dm^3.

So to work out the concentration of KCl, for example, you'd need to work out how many moles of KCl there are, and what the total volume of the mixture is.
Since you know the volume and concentration of the "initial solution" of KCl, you can work out the moles :smile:

Thank you so much! It was waaaay simpler than I thought, I was just overcomplicating it entirely :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest