The Student Room Group

Mathematics BSC refresher content ahead of looking at a masters

I'm considering going back to Uni part time for my masters in Mathematics, maybe pure or applied. I'd be looking to enter in the 2025 intake, so I have a bit of time to figure out if I really want this.

I graduated 8 years ago with a low 2:1 in Mathematical Sciences, but I was in a different place mentally and am confident in my ability to give the time and attention and dedication to the studies now.

My intention would be Imperial, for either Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics. I have no career desires from this, I am already sorted for my career; this is purely for my own personal growth and interests.

Sadly, I don't have access to my course notes or books from my bachelors.
Does anyone have any recommendations for refresher courses or books so I might get a feel for it all again and see how I get on?
Reply 1
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for however, you are able to see the outlines of all the Warwick maths modules online and most of them have reading lists containing recommended books. I've also seen that ETH Zurich publish their problem sheets and solutions online. I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Its Phil
I'm considering going back to Uni part time for my masters in Mathematics, maybe pure or applied. I'd be looking to enter in the 2025 intake, so I have a bit of time to figure out if I really want this.

I graduated 8 years ago with a low 2:1 in Mathematical Sciences, but I was in a different place mentally and am confident in my ability to give the time and attention and dedication to the studies now.

My intention would be Imperial, for either Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics. I have no career desires from this, I am already sorted for my career; this is purely for my own personal growth and interests.

Sadly, I don't have access to my course notes or books from my bachelors.
Does anyone have any recommendations for refresher courses or books so I might get a feel for it all again and see how I get on?

I think it would be easiest to advise once you've decided what type of MSc you want to do, and more specifically what focus you're likely to take in that MSc.

In the meantime all Oxford's maths lecture courses, including online notes and problem sheets, are publicly available at

https://courses.maths.ox.ac.uk/course/index.php?categoryid=735

Prelims/Part A/Part B/Part C

relates to years 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively.

Quick Reply

Latest