The Student Room Group

Doing Computer Science as an I.T Student

Hi,
just as the title says, I'm just wondering if it is possible for me to do computer science at Manchester Metropolitan University. I have just recently finished my college course in which I had studied the Level 3 CAMTEC Extended Diploma for the last 2 years and pretty much achieved nearly one of the highest grades I could since it is more research/report based which was manageable.

Through this, I have been interested in coding and during this course I have done 2 projects, those being using Python and HTML.

While I am looking forward to university, I'm just anxious that I won't get the content as it math based and I have not done maths in a long time and it might be difficult to understand as I have not taken A-Level maths like other students. One of my friends have already dropped out (he is one year ahead of me) and we did the same course, so I'm just worried that it may happen to me as well if I don't understand it.

It would be helpful for any similar students who have taken the subject as me in college but other insights will be helpful.
Original post by purpleblaze05
Hi,
just as the title says, I'm just wondering if it is possible for me to do computer science at Manchester Metropolitan University. I have just recently finished my college course in which I had studied the Level 3 CAMTEC Extended Diploma for the last 2 years and pretty much achieved nearly one of the highest grades I could since it is more research/report based which was manageable.

Through this, I have been interested in coding and during this course I have done 2 projects, those being using Python and HTML.

While I am looking forward to university, I'm just anxious that I won't get the content as it math based and I have not done maths in a long time and it might be difficult to understand as I have not taken A-Level maths like other students. One of my friends have already dropped out (he is one year ahead of me) and we did the same course, so I'm just worried that it may happen to me as well if I don't understand it.

It would be helpful for any similar students who have taken the subject as me in college but other insights will be helpful.

Hi @purpleblaze05

We can accept applications for BSc (Hons) Computer Science if you scored DDM or above in CAMTEC Extended Diploma in IT or Computing.
In your first year you'll study a module named Mathematics for Computing which will provide you foundation for further study in computing. If you find maths challenging, you'll be well supported through your course as you can always reach out to your tutors and lectures who will offer their help.

If you need a bit more reassurance, I'd recommend coming to one of our open days or speaking with our Student Ambassadors to get more of a feel for what its like to study at Manchester Met.

I hope this helps!!

Chloe :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending