The Student Room Group

2023 OCR A English lit

What do u guys predict will be the questions for OCR English lit Hamlet and Rossetti/Ibsen question? Also what themes should I revise for Hamlet 1B?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ineedhelptysm
What do u guys predict will be the questions for OCR English lit Hamlet and Rossetti/Ibsen question? Also what themes should I revise for Hamlet 1B?

Here are the themes that I have revised for the AO5 question on Hamlet:
1) Duty/Honour 2) Revenge 3) Madness 4) Mortality 5) Gender 6) Incest 7) Indecision/Inaction 8) Uncertainty/Ambiguity 9) Performance 10) Spying 11) Corruption 12) Political Power
I would have done family as well but that was last year's 2b question (and apparently also this year's AS question), and last year for AS, one of the questions was on love, so I've skipped on those two themes.

In terms of the extract, I was looking through every past and sample paper from 2017 to 2022 and Claudius has not appeared once in any of the extract-based questions, which I find a little suspicious. Maybe something like 3.3 or 4.5 or 4.7 could come up then, but I would still revise every scene just in case.

Also I do Webster and Chaucer instead of Ibsen and Rossetti but obviously the questions are still the same for every text combination. I made this table of question types that have appeared in the past:
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-03 at 14.43.11.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-05-03 at 14.43.18.jpg
Original post by alan_thebalan
1) Duty/Honour 2) Revenge 3) Madness 4) Mortality 5) Gender 6) Incest 7) Indecision/Inaction 8) Uncertainty/Ambiguity 9) Performance 10) Spying 11) Corruption 12) Political Power
I would have done family as well but that was last year's 2b question (and apparently also this year's AS question), and last year for AS, one of the questions was on love, so I've skipped on those two themes.

In terms of the extract, I was looking through every past and sample paper from 2017 to 2022 and Claudius has not appeared once in any of the extract-based questions, which I find a little suspicious. Maybe something like 3.3 or 4.5 or 4.7 could come up then, but I would still revise every scene just in case.

Also I do Webster and Chaucer instead of Ibsen and Rossetti but obviously the questions are still the same for every text combination. I made this table of question types that have appeared in the past:
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-03 at 14.43.11.jpgWhatsApp Image 2023-05-03 at 14.43.18.jpg

What's dark purple?
Original post by toxicgamage56
What's dark purple?

Questioning, thought and reflection I suppose
What was the Hamlet B question for last year, i don't think deception has come up yet
Original post by averagebirdw
What was the Hamlet B question for last year, i don't think deception has come up yet

image.png
here are all the questions that have come up - last year's at the top
Calm cheers, deception is still all to play for then. may the best man win
:colonhash::rolleyes::cool:

(Original post by alan_thebalan)image.png
Reply 7
I'm predicting a part (b) question on either madness, revenge, corruption or deceit. at least i hope it's one of them cos thats all i've revised lol
and in terms of the part (a) i just have a feeling it will involve claudius, or perhaps one of the soliloquies (cos those have never come up before). another thing my teacher said to focus on was the 'play within a play' scene.
i've done pretty general revision for ibsetti as we do get a choice of questions so hoping there's something on gender I can answer.
Original post by averagebirdw
Calm cheers, deception is still all to play for then. may the best man win
:colonhash::rolleyes::cool:

(Original post by alan_thebalan)image.png

What message does :colonhash::rolleyes::cool: convey lol?
Reply 9
That part b was disgusting wtf
Original post by odysseus123

i know wth. what did you write about? for anyone who doesn’t know what the question was, for hamlet it was ’ideas and images of the theatre are central to Hamlet’
part B was from hell icl
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Sofia-Mxntxn
i know wth. what did you write about? for anyone who doesn’t know what the question was, for hamlet it was ’ideas and images of the theatre are central to Hamlet’

I wrote abt performace and roles within the play but icl I bottled it. Some of my mates spoke about revenge tragedy and the conventions of theatre and how they influence the play
Original post by odysseus123

word bro
Reply 14
Okay I defo messed up on the part B. I talked about how theatres were round with audience sat at all sides so they could see every aspect and linked that to surveillance in the play. Then I talked about how male actors used to play women and linked it to how Shakespeare feminised Hamlet.💀
Reply 15
Okay I defo did part B wrong. I talked about how theatres were round with the audience sat all around the stage so they could see every aspect of the play and then linked that to surveillance in Hamlet. Then I talked about how men used to play the part of women and linked that to how Shakespeare feminised Hamlet.💀💀
Original post by alan_thebalan

Hey Do u have this for paper 2 question 2? Also what do u think the unseen American passage will be on in paper 2?
Original post by Ineedhelptysm
Hey Do u have this for paper 2 question 2? Also what do u think the unseen American passage will be on in paper 2?

It's different for Paper 2 because the first two questions (2a and 2b) are actually specific to the texts, The Great Gatsby and The Grapes of Wrath, and 2c is more general, so I haven't highlighted recurring themes.

For the unseen, I reckon we could get something from the 1900s or 1910s - the two decades that have not appeared yet. An 1880s text has not appeared either, but last year's unseen was a text set in 1885, so it's safe to say that something like the Wild West would not appear again this year. If I had to predict, I would say maybe some work of Naturalism this year could appear - something along the lines of Jack London or Frank Norris. Nothing really specific to the Harlem Renaissance has appeared either, so I would definitely revise writers like Langston Hughs, Zora Neale Hurston, Nella Larsen (this writer in particular is getting added to the OCR specification next year), Wallace Thurman etc.
Reply 18
Original post by Maria.R
Okay I defo messed up on the part B. I talked about how theatres were round with audience sat at all sides so they could see every aspect and linked that to surveillance in the play. Then I talked about how male actors used to play women and linked it to how Shakespeare feminised Hamlet.💀

Hi, I'm just revising for an upcoming Hamlet Exam, I was wondering which scene the extract for Part A came from?Thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by username5753051

Hi, I'm just revising for an upcoming Hamlet Exam, I was wondering which scene the extract for Part A came from?Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending