The Student Room Group

Any ideas how to memorise quotes for English lit?

I’m doing of mice and men but I’m sure the techniques would be the same for any text. I’ve heard doing extract questions help but I don’t know how much.
Reply 1
Hiya!

I did English Lit at A-Level last year so may be able to help. My main 4 texts were Othello, The Great Gatsby, All My Sons and The Handmaid's Tale. First, flashcards are a must! What's quite helpful is to pick out what the most important quotes are, then write act&scene number or chapter on the back, allows you to order them chronologically and see if you were correct, and reinforces where it is in the text in your mind. Watching film adaptations/plays which are faithful to the text is also really helpful, because you can picture the scene where it happens in more of a visual context. Adding quotes to mindmaps is also helpful as it allows you to lay out both ideas and quotes together visually. Apart from that, just getting the text onboard & in your head as much as possible, so by the time it comes to the exam it's super familiar - reading it, audio versions, film adaptations.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions lmk :smile:
Original post by salutstudy
Hiya!

I did English Lit at A-Level last year so may be able to help. My main 4 texts were Othello, The Great Gatsby, All My Sons and The Handmaid's Tale. First, flashcards are a must! What's quite helpful is to pick out what the most important quotes are, then write act&scene number or chapter on the back, allows you to order them chronologically and see if you were correct, and reinforces where it is in the text in your mind. Watching film adaptations/plays which are faithful to the text is also really helpful, because you can picture the scene where it happens in more of a visual context. Adding quotes to mindmaps is also helpful as it allows you to lay out both ideas and quotes together visually. Apart from that, just getting the text onboard & in your head as much as possible, so by the time it comes to the exam it's super familiar - reading it, audio versions, film adaptations.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions lmk :smile:

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending