The Student Room Group

does anyone ever feel really behind in life?

im 20 years old- finished school two years ago. dropped out of two unis already because i was struggling soooo much with the course and my mental health was terrible. im unemployed rn, with £11k debt, living with my parents with no goals and no vision of the future. ive also lost all my friends since i dropped out of uni and basically binge eaten my way into a couple of health issues as well. im at the exact same point i was when i finished school except with more health issues and a lower self esteem. ive just been thinking about how ive achieved nothing in life so far- honestly does anybody else ever feel like this?
yes, I feel (and am) incredibly behind with all aspects of life
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
im 20 years old- finished school two years ago. dropped out of two unis already because i was struggling soooo much with the course and my mental health was terrible. im unemployed rn, with £11k debt, living with my parents with no goals and no vision of the future. ive also lost all my friends since i dropped out of uni and basically binge eaten my way into a couple of health issues as well. im at the exact same point i was when i finished school except with more health issues and a lower self esteem. ive just been thinking about how ive achieved nothing in life so far- honestly does anybody else ever feel like this?

this sounds so corny but everyone is on their own journey and path in life- just because people around you may seem like they have everything together, they probably don't and you are in no way a failure just because you haven't found your feet yet. everyone is different and comparing yourself to others will get you nowhere and just make you feel worse. however, you have to give yourself a fighting chance. try not to let your mental health problems consume you and focus on resting, recovering and redirecting yourself. be kind to yourself and give yourself space and time. you can do it!
I feel like that too. I left school 4 yrs ago and became super depressed. I just finished uni and have only one friend who I’m not even that close with. I have no clue what career to pursue with my health problems being my priority rn. You must heal yourself. Have you taken up therapy? You must start the day with positive energy. Start with journaling out all that bothers you, then listen to some motivational videos etc. Meditate and do gratitude lists. Are you thinking of going back to uni? Do you have a plan for the future?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by etonmy
this sounds so corny but everyone is on their own journey and path in life- just because people around you may seem like they have everything together, they probably don't and you are in no way a failure just because you haven't found your feet yet. everyone is different and comparing yourself to others will get you nowhere and just make you feel worse. however, you have to give yourself a fighting chance. try not to let your mental health problems consume you and focus on resting, recovering and redirecting yourself. be kind to yourself and give yourself space and time. you can do it!

ahhh youre right comparison is a thief of joy haha. i guess i just feel like im running out of timeee like my parents are so disappointed in me and i feel like such a burden ig. but thanks for the advice :smile:))
Reply 5
Original post by burberry_butter
I feel like that too. I left school 4 yrs ago and became super depressed. I just finished uni and have only one friend who I’m not even that close with. I have no clue what career to pursue with my health problems being my priority rn. You must heal yourself. Have you taken up therapy? You must start the day with positive energy. Start with journaling out all that bothers you, then listen to some motivational videos etc. Meditate and do gratitude lists. Are you thinking of going back to uni? Do you have a plan for the future?

ahh what did you do at uni? oh loool ive had so much therapy in my life im kinda sick of it ngl.
i have no plan for the future bc im not good at anything but at the same time ive hated all my past jobs so im sooo stuck haha
yeah i’m really behind in life too it sucks
Reply 7
I'm interested to know what everyone's expectations are for where they are in life versus what age you are.

I'm sorry, but the harsh reality is that the vast majority of people:

Will not be married by 30 years old

Will not have a house by 30 years old

Will not have their ultimate career after finishing university

So please everyone, stop feeling bad about not being at the point in your life where you dreamed of at this point as a little kid.

Onwards and upwards, you are where you are. Either you change the things you don't like or wallow in self-pity and blame the world.

(I promise I'm nicer than this post sounds)
Same, I haven’t found therapy to be very helpful. I studied law. I feel like the key to curing your depression would be staying present in the moment. Try to set small goals and try to achieve them. One of my goals rn is to have a healthy mindset that’s super confident and present in the moment. I’m focussing on my healing by journaling, watching movies, and meditating.
Reply 9
i would suggest at least making some money.ie getting an unskilled job(retail etc.), or volunteering in a library, or charity shop. I'm sure this will improve your mental health you will at least be doing something while sorting your life out. But the problem is, you can't even get yourself to do something, what's the point? I am a burden to myself and my parents. I will never make it in life? I dropped out and I'm useless, I hate and loathe myself, and the biggest problem is me. So that is the thought process you probably go through, and it is hard, being stuck in your head with all these negative thoughts swirling around. It will take weeks to months and for me it took months. But please, please, please be positive. I go to therapy and it has been so helpful so far. Do something with your hands, learn crocheting, knitting, baking or your hobbies...something that will make you happy.
what really helped me is gratitude, because despite the situation all of you are extremely lucky right now:
-a roof over your heads
-probably not abusive parents
-you can walk,talk,eat
-you were born in UK! that itself is an achievement, not being born in economically worse countries

you're 20

11k debt is a lot, but not impossible to pay off

my point is, I'm not saying you should walk around with a big cheeky smile on your face saying'I LOVE LIFE!', what I mean is that as long as you're still breathing, not a vegetable and not hospital bound, there is hope for the future, and you have every reason to be grateful. God bless.

(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 10

Many times i felt the same.
Sorry to hear that tho, you do have talents and things to be proud of though
For me, Through bereavement, grief, anger and mental problems in the last years, and no friends, and I'm simply uninspiring and boring to spend time with. I never passed a single exam in my life, i have no qualifications at all, i was just terrible academically, and i see most if not all 20 yr olds having much more fulfilling, substantial, enjoyable and happier lives. I work for close to the minimum wage in an unskilled job, yet that's all i'll ever have. I'm mentally disabled, ugly, gay, awkward, friendless, and no one ever talks to me. I go days without sometimes talking to other humans. I don't believe my life will get better from now.
I feel pretty devastated and hurt by it's panned out for me. I desperately wish things would be different for me every day.
Reply 11
Original post by dbhc2411
I'm interested to know what everyone's expectations are for where they are in life versus what age you are.

I'm sorry, but the harsh reality is that the vast majority of people:

Will not be married by 30 years old

Will not have a house by 30 years old

Will not have their ultimate career after finishing university

So please everyone, stop feeling bad about not being at the point in your life where you dreamed of at this point as a little kid.

Onwards and upwards, you are where you are. Either you change the things you don't like or wallow in self-pity and blame the world.

(I promise I'm nicer than this post sounds)

ahhh i guess i just compare myself to my family and ‘friends’ or peers around me. but ur right- action is the only way out of this dark hole- i keep on putting if off for some reason and opting to rot in my bed instead👹
Reply 12
Original post by IO bear
i would suggest at least making some money.ie getting an unskilled job(retail etc.), or volunteering in a library, or charity shop. I'm sure this will improve your mental health you will at least be doing something while sorting your life out. But the problem is, you can't even get yourself to do something, what's the point? I am a burden to myself and my parents. I will never make it in life? I dropped out and I'm useless, I hate and loathe myself, and the biggest problem is me. So that is the thought process you probably go through, and it is hard, being stuck in your head with all these negative thoughts swirling around. It will take weeks to months and for me it took months. But please, please, please be positive. I go to therapy and it has been so helpful so far. Do something with your hands, learn crocheting, knitting, baking or your hobbies...something that will make you happy.
what really helped me is gratitude, because despite the situation all of you are extremely lucky right now:
-a roof over your heads
-probably not abusive parents
-you can walk,talk,eat
-you were born in UK! that itself is an achievement, not being born in economically worse countries

you're 20

11k debt is a lot, but not impossible to pay off

my point is, I'm not saying you should walk around with a big cheeky smile on your face saying'I LOVE LIFE!', what I mean is that as long as you're still breathing, not a vegetable and not hospital bound, there is hope for the future, and you have every reason to be grateful. God bless.

ive tried applying to jobs but they dont want me :frown:(
its acc SOOO hard omds my mind is my biggest enemy in life to be honest. i wish it was a physical thing i could just beat up but the thoughts always come back somehow telling me im inadequate and worthless and stuff. ive heard crocheting is quite therapeutic so i might start that.
i know i should be gratefulll and i get so guilty at the fact that im always wallowing in my misery even though i have all these privileges in life. but thanks for the advice :smile:))
Reply 13
Original post by ZackX#
Many times i felt the same.
Sorry to hear that tho, you do have talents and things to be proud of though
For me, Through bereavement, grief, anger and mental problems in the last years, and no friends, and I'm simply uninspiring and boring to spend time with. I never passed a single exam in my life, i have no qualifications at all, i was just terrible academically, and i see most if not all 20 yr olds having much more fulfilling, substantial, enjoyable and happier lives. I work for close to the minimum wage in an unskilled job, yet that's all i'll ever have. I'm mentally disabled, ugly, gay, awkward, friendless, and no one ever talks to me. I go days without sometimes talking to other humans. I don't believe my life will get better from now.
I feel pretty devastated and hurt by it's panned out for me. I desperately wish things would be different for me every day.

ahaha i wish i had things to be proud of🤣
mannn it seems like youve been through a lot but igu i ALWAYS compare myself to others my age which makes me feel horrible. but i still have some hope that it can get better
being ugly, awkward and friendless are all things i can relate to but i think we can change them (not really sure how to tho🤡)

I can never know what you're feeling because I'm not in your position. I wish I had some stellar advice to give you. I just hope you find a way to improve your mental health and get better. I hope whatever you decide to do or pursue grants you happiness and satisfaction. Please take care of yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest